A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just noticed puddle on floor in car !!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 09:12 PM
Chris

Default Just noticed puddle on floor in car !!!!!!!!!!

Got home from work and looked on drivers floor, water along the edge of floor next to weathertech mats. Carpet seems wet starting under drivers seat and maybe water flowing forward to left foot rest area. Any ideas. I don't think it's melting snow because it is wet under drivers seat and a little om rear floor behind drivers seat. Going in for 5k service Friday. 2000 1.8 W/sunroof. New York
Old 01-26-2000, 09:20 PM
Peter

Default I had a leaky sunroof...

I now have a permanent water stain on my passenger seat from rain water leaking in through my sunroof. There were a few broken plastic pieces in the sunroof track which prevented it from closing properly. All fixed under warranty without a problem. No leaks anymore.

Good luck,
Peter
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 01-26-2000, 10:50 PM
die hard

Default don't settle!

Make them change your seat because of the stain. Since the sunroof was proven to be defective, the seat should be under warranty too. I would NOT settle.
Old 01-27-2000, 04:10 AM
pauls

Default I had a leaky door seal that did that (more)

This happened on a VW not an Audi, don't know if the design is the same. It wasn't the door weather strip but the plastic seal behind the interior door panel. When it rained it would run down the inside of the door to the door sill and by design it would go inside rather than outside, right onto the carpets and I wouldn't see it until I stepped there and heard a squish.

You don't indcate what kind of weather this occurred in other than it must be cold because you mention snow. If your just getting snow I doubt that the sunroof is your problem. As the below poster indicated it must have been obvious where the water was coming from, it was on the seat. Also some cars get broken seals around the firewall where the outside air intake is for the heating. This can run down the inside around where you place your feet

These kinds of things usually occur after a big rain though, not snow. The reason is most of the moisture in snow is swept off the car before it gets a chance to melt and get inside. Could your water have come in from a car wash? If so next time you go to that place look for evidence of an infiltration point as soon as the car gets out.

In any case this kind of problem deserves attention. Make sure your dealer looks at it. LOL
Old 01-27-2000, 06:37 AM
cgerard

i had same problem as above post in my S4. Audi fixed it in under a day
Old 01-27-2000, 07:35 AM
Bob

Default Re: Just noticed puddle on floor in car !!!!!!!!!!

Audis are VW'ish when it comes to body leaks. Places to look are, lower windshield seat and seal at firewall, rear glass seals, sunroof seals and drains, and door seals. The spot you mentioned would probably rule out the windshield and rear glass. This really amazes me - the similarities between my A4 and my 1986 4000Q are surprising.

Regards and Good luck,
Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM
Old 01-28-2000, 04:59 AM
KarlK

Default Same thing happens to me

Chris,

I have the same problem every winter in both my cars, and I think it is due to the WeatherTech mats. I usually get a wet patch in the carpet along the left side of the driver's floor mat. Both cars have a manual transmission, here's my theory: The mats do not cover the entire footwell area on the left side when I keep them far enough to the right to catch my right heel. Snow & water fall outside the mat from my left foot when resting or working the clutch. Also the mats collect water & melted snow which can slosh over the edges under hard cornering, braking, etc. I must admit though that I have never had water under the seat or on the rear floor.

Karl
97 1.8TMS