A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Limited Range of Remote Keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-1999, 02:51 PM
Otto

Default Limited Range of Remote Keys

Ever since it was new, I've got to be within 15 feet or so of the car to remotely activate the locks. Is it me or, God forbid, do I need to spend $150+ for a new key. The dealer is no help.
Old 06-14-1999, 02:54 PM
Shabbis

Default I noticed my 99.5 2.8QMSA also has a rather limited remote range.

My friend has an Alpine alarm on his Jeep and I swear he can arm and disarm from half a mile.
Old 06-14-1999, 02:57 PM
parkerpt

Default Re: Limited Range of Remote Keys

I have noticed this as well. My Chevy truck could be unlocked from as far as 100 feet. But don't be mistaken, it has not detracted from my experience.<p>parkerpt<br>99.5 1.8T qms
Old 06-14-1999, 03:13 PM
TM

Default I checked this out at the dealer, it works from about 6-8 parking spaces away. That's enough for me.

Old 06-14-1999, 03:16 PM
spudman

Default Lame Range of Remote Keys

Not to beat this subject to death (which has been much in the archives) but...I have had my car into the dealer (Tom Wood, Indy) several times over the past year, and every time they have only installed new batteries (in the key). When I took the 1998 Audi Technical Bulletin in and showed them, they told me they didn't think it would work. A call to Audi revealed that my 98.5 A4Q already had the "upgraded" remote. I told them I thought the range is a total joke! Especially as this is an optional (i.e. you pay for it) extra! While this hasn't spoiled my A4 experience, for a car costing $35k+ this is poor to say the least. My wife's 323is (!) can be opened from fifty yards away, leaving the A4 in its dust, so to speak.<p><p>Come on , Audi - fix this problem!<p><p>Spudman
Old 06-14-1999, 03:27 PM
Stretch Armstrong Plastic Man

Default So you open your doors from 150 ft. away...THEN WHAT?!?!? Or do you just like the lights?

(nt)
Old 06-14-1999, 04:11 PM
Are we there yet?

Default MAX distance you'd want is 176 ft ---> here's why...

The A4 remote module automatically relocks the vehicle after 60 seconds if none of the doors (or trunk/hatch) are opened within that minute. <br>So ... assuming you walk an average of 2 mph, you wouldn't want to unlock the doors from more than 176 ft away or it'd just relock itself before you reached the vehicle.<p><u>My math:</u><br>1 mile = 5,280 ft (so 2 miles = 10,560 ft)<br>1 hour = 60 minutes<br>10,560 (ft)/60 (min) = 176 ft/min<p>Rob O : )<br>** It must be Monday! **
Old 06-14-1999, 04:17 PM
Rlschmitz

Default Slow Monday at work, huh? :)

<br>.
Old 06-14-1999, 04:42 PM
Still not there yet!

Default 50 yards is about the most you'd want anyway ---> here's why...

Using my rationale in an earlier post -- the average person walking 2 mph wouldn't want to unlock the doors from any further than 176 ft, since the doors would relock within the 60 seconds it takes to walk that distance anyway.<p>So ... a little conversion:<br>Since 1 furlong = 660 ft = 220 yards, we'll use 3 yards/foot<br>176 ft (from previous calculation) divided by 3 = ~59 yards<br>Therefore, from more than 59 yards away you'd have to pick up the pace in order to beat your remote module.<p>I know, I know ... what a waist o' bandwidth! Sorry ;-)
Old 06-14-1999, 06:12 PM
Brian

Default Too many yards may be no good too...

I'm not sure if a really long range is so hot with a remote anyway, it just gives the "criminal type" more distance to sniff your security code. If the technology exists or not to do this, I don't know (Don't keep up with stealing Audi cars) but a remote with a GREAT range your just sending the information out farther...<p>Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Limited Range of Remote Keys