A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

lip spoiler installation troubles...ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lip spoiler installation troubles...ideas needed

Ok so I bought a lip spoiler off ebay. It is made of ABS Plastic. I first used duplicolor primer, then duplicolor radiant silver, then duplicolor clear coat. Came out great. Then i applied 3m double sided tape to the bottom, removed the backing of a middle section...put it on the car, and began to bend it to fit. The tape stuck beautifully to the car, but it was comming off on the spoiler side. I took it off to find out that the tape completely ripped the paint+primer right off the spoiler..leaving that section black. I decided to remove the rest of the tape from the spoiler and it also ripped the rest of the primer+paint off...but this is the bottom of the spoiler that you dont see so its ok. Then I used rubbing alcohol to really clean the surface...thinking that the oil from the ABS mold was the problem. Next, i used some tough sandpaper and scuffed up the bottom of the spoiler....then applied even more rubbing alcohol to really clean it.

I proceeded to try a new batch of tape...stuck it all on the spoiler, cut off the backing of a piece of the center in order to get that on the car as a start...started to bend..and noticed the tape was just comming right off the spoiler. It was stuck on the car solid as could be...but won't stick to the spoiler for ****.

I really don't know what to do. A part of me wants to get Gorilla Glue, then glue the spoiler to the tape, then the other side of the tape will stick to the car....but the problem with that is if the spoiler ever gets chipped and i want to remove it to repaint....i probably would never get the tape off the bottom because of the glue.

Can anyone share any ideas or maybe knowledge from experience? I'm really running out of ideas.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default don't paint the bottom!

you shouldn't ever paint the bottom. You will contaminate the plastic, causing it to never take the 2 sided tape properly. Gluing the tape would work fine. You just sand/buff it off if you ever need to repaint it.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get this resolved yet?