A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

LLtek Xenons & Fog Light Install Questions......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-1999, 02:34 PM
Grant

Default LLtek Xenons & Fog Light Install Questions......

All,<p>Due to work etc., I am finally getting around to installing my Xenons in our A4 Avant. I also ordered the fogs in that package deal from lltek and have some questions that I am not sure have been addressed:<p>1. While the Xenons are plug and play, my audi dealer is making noise about the wiring harness and the Xenons. Are there any issues worth noting??? How about the fogs and their elect. draw?<p>2. Is the best way to wire the fogs is to take power off the from Xenons or run a separate hot wire from the harness. Either way, I'd like to have a new, foglight switch in the dash run them independently of the Xenons?<p>3. I'd like to run any possible combination of the City Light, Xenons (high or low beam), and fogs. Is this possible?<p>4. Anyone using stongard on their Xenons? Any problems with heat?<p>Any help appreciated and apologies if I missed a posting that addressed these issues. <p>Grant<br>98.5 A4 Avant QMSx<br>93.0 S4 BigReds, TSW's,....<br>89.0 M3 Dinan, 40k<p><br>
Old 05-27-1999, 03:30 PM
Terry

Default What I did

1) They are exactly plug and play if you don't care about the city lights. The car comes from Germany w/a harness that has 4 of the 5 holes in the plug attached w/a wire. One of those wires (I think it was #3) powers the fogs. #1 (I believe) is for the city light. Our cars come with that hole empty.<p>2) I ran my PIAA 1400x fog lights using the same power as the Xenon's (wire #3 I believe). I'm using the original fog light switch.<p>3) Yes, it is possible to run the city lights w/either the high or low beam Xenon's. I have that set up by running the original parking lights to power the city lights.<p>4) Nope, I didn't not stoneguard my lights.<p>There's an earlier post about a week or 2 ago that I used to help me wire up my Xenon's. <p>Hope that helps. They're great lights. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.<p>Terry<p>
Old 05-27-1999, 03:46 PM
stanj

Default Some answers... (long)

Grant,<p>congrats on your lights. This is my opinion, based on quite some experience with the wiring, but I don't claim to be 100% certain.<p>First of all, the Xenons don't have fog lights in them. Therefore, hypothetically if you were to NOT install the LLtek fogs, your current fog light switch would be unused. Thus,<p>1) is not an issue. There will be no ADDITIONAL draw on the wiring - just the draw to the fogs will not go to the main lights but to the aftermarket fogs - same wattage (more or less). The Xenons take about 10x as much draw for a fraction of a second when starting, then they take about 20% of the halogen draw. Nobody had any problems so far.<p>2) If you simply tap into the wire that goes to the wiring harness at the headlights, your fog lights will be operated by the fog light switch as before. Remember that otherwise the fog switch would be unused with the Xenons.<p>3) It is possible, even though not simple. Read my instructions on how to do that (see link belows). On US spec cars, it requires quite major wire cutting to get the fogs to run w/o main lights. My solution is a bit more complete but also includes a link to a simpler one, which is still very involved. I did it because I simply need to cut all the wires in the car, but then I am weird :-)<p>As for the city lights: don't over-estimate them. I think that there are three basic solutions: (a) have them operated by a special fog light switch; (b) have them on together with amber parking lights; (c) have them on INSTEAD of amber parking lights. <p>(a) sounds like absolute overkill, because their light output is negligible (in complete darkness, like in a high desert, you may be able to crawl with them, maybe). People did it only if they didn't have the aftermarket fogs and still wanted to use the current fog switch for something.<p>(b) that's what I did. In contrary to most people (who advocate the Euro look) I like the idea of having the car visible from the side, thus I run the city lights as parking lights ALONG with the current amber corners.<p>(c) The Euro look. Your car will be invisible from the side, but that's what the vast majority of the world's A4 population looks like. Some people like it better - personal preference.<p>Thus, it is my personal recommendation that you hotwire the city lights with the parking lights (possibly cutting the current parking light wire), attach the LLtek fogs to the fog wire on the headlight wiring harness, and if you really really want to do messy stuff follow some of the instructions on how to make the fog light switches independent.<p>Good luck,<br>- Stan<br>98.5 30v w/ Xenon and no fogs (who needs them?)<br><ul><li><a href="http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Audi/Fogs/index.html">Stan's fog light mods</a></li></ul>
Old 05-28-1999, 04:10 AM
G. Hale

Default Re: LLtek Xenons & Fog Light Install Questions......

1) Refer to StanJ's post about the power use of the Xenon's. I don't think it will cause a problem, as the wires are rated in Amps, not volts, and if the amperage is exceeded, then the fuse will blow to save the wiring.<p>2) I wouldn't borrow any power from the Xenon's, but use the existing fog wiring for the fogs. <p>3) I performed a simplified headlight modification from StanJ's and the one in the FAQ. The wiring method that I used allows all possible combinations of lighting, with the exception that I can't turn on the headlights without the City Lights being on, and I can't turn on the rear fog without the front fogs coming on with it, but again, the wiring was very simple. <p>Here's what I did. All the wiring was done before the Xenon's arrived. <p>1) Perform the headlight cutout mod in the FAQ. This is required regardless of which wiring scheme that you use to override the fogs only coming on with the headlights.<p>2) Find the fog light fuse in the fusebox. From the back of the fuse box where the wires run in, use a voltmeter to find the powered side of the fuse. Mine was the side toward the front of the car. (Remember, that you'll have to turn on the headlights at this point to get power to the fog fuse to make it register on the voltmeter). Cut this powered wire. <p>3) Using the relay that was removed during Step 1, run a wire from the yellow power post to the input power on the relay. Then run a wire from the output power on the relay and connect it to the cut wire running into the fog fuse on the back of the fuse box. Connect a wire on the relay's switch connector and patch it into the parking light wire coming out of either parking light fuse wire coming out of the fuse box. Then run a wire from the ground post to the ground on the relay.<p>At this point, the stock fog switch will power the fogs with only the parking lights on, on the stock headlights.<p>A simpler mod. would be in step 3 to forget the relay, and run a wire from the yellow power post directly to the cut fog fuse wire running into the fusebox. This however, would allow the fogs to be on whenever the switch is on, even without any other lights being turned on. This is how I had mine initially, but figured that I'd forget to turn the fogs off during the day, and run them with no other lights. By using the relay, you can leave the fog switch on, and they won't be powered until the parking switch is switched on.<p>Now for the Xenon & City wiring part.<p>1) In the stock wiring headlamp connector, I moved the fog wire connector, from it's current location in the connector to the empty slot, which is used for the City Light power.<p>2) Now, cut the fog wire (green/white) running out of the back of the connector. (Leave enough room on the wire to attach another wire back on to the end).<p>3) For the Euro look, cut the parking light wire at each parking light. (Again, use the voltmeter with the parking lights on, to determine which wire is powering the parking lights compared to the signal's) Now run a wire from the parking light wire out of the wiring harness and connect it to the cut green/white wire running into the headlamp connector on each side of the car. This allows the City Lights to be powered on instead of the corner lamps. If you want both to be powered, do not cut the parking lamp wires, but instead just tap into 'em.<p>4) Now for the fogs, simply connect the cut green/white stock fog wire (the one running back into the wiring harness to the fog switch) to the new fog lights powered wire. You'll need to run some additional wire of course, from this wire down to the fog's wiring to have enough length.<p>That's it. You now have the City Lights working off the stock parking light switch, with or without the corner lamps. The fogs, depending on which mod you did in step 3, can be turned on by themselves, or only when at least the City Lights are turned on. With the headlights, the fogs will still function when the headlights are on high-beam.<p>Now as an end note, I agree with StanJ on the fog issue. With the Xenon's, I have yet to use the fog's at all. I haven't encountered any heavy fog yet with the Xenon's, but with clear night driving, I leave the fogs off. The Xenon's make them appear very yellow, and even when they are on, there is no better visibility. You can only see the fogs come on to the very far side edges of the road. The Xenon's just cover the entire road, leaving nothing for the fogs to cover. If the Xenon's don't peform well in fog however, I'll run the fogs with just the City Lights on to prevent glare.<p>If you need any further instructions, please feel free to email me.<p>G. Hale<br>'98.5 2.8 QMSX