A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

looking for suggestion on insurance matter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for suggestion on insurance matter

hi all. yesterday my car was all skretched on the passenger side by a truck that left the scene. a woman driving behind it saw it and let a note on my windshield with her number, plate of truck and name of the company written on truck. what is the best way to go about this? my insurance suggested that the easiest way is to get it fixed, pay the deductible and then they will go after their insurance and try to get me back the deductible; or, I can try to go after them myself (not something I look forward to). anyway, any suggestion on this or past experiences with a similar situation? I hate nyc streets. tia to all that will respond.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it is in your insurance's best interests to get the money

thus, I think they could handle it.

My mother actually unknowingly did this to someone once while pulling into a parking space. She went to the cops, they gave her my mother's home number and address, and she called, my mom remembered the day and she was perfectly happy to pay the repair costs.

maybe you should just call them and see if they want to just cut you a check for the estimated repair costs? if not.. it might get hard.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:00 AM

Default I did option 1 before & my insurance company (no longer with them) didn't go after them in the end.

If I were you, I'd track down the supervisor of the person, explain the situation, and see what they have to say. I'd want to take pictures of the truck ASAP before they fix it as well.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good idea.. if you can find the truck, snap pictures with your car's paint on it
Old 10-09-2001, 08:01 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Kinda OT, but this reminds me...

I used to work as a driver in NYC some time ago. I remember driving down one narrow street on the west side around the 60's. Parallel parking on both sides, one way street, and just enough room for one car to get through. Well, as I drove down the street, it appear that someone tried to navigate this street with a vehicle that was a little too wide. The SOB took off EVERY mirror on the right side of the street, all the way down the block!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 08:13 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Actually, it's not always worth their money...lawyers are expensive.

Time is money...and if a company figures they have to spend 12 man hours to recover < $1000 in damages ($500 of which belong to the customer...which they could care less about)...guess what? It's going to cost them ~$1000-$2000 (depending on how much company resources cost) to save $500.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:22 AM

Default In most states after 24 hours you can file a hit and run report with the police for....

property damage. Contact your eyewitness and see if she'll sign an affidavit and then go to the police. If the police can identify who owns the truck contact them, tell them you have an eyewitness and see if they'll cooperate (contact their insurance company). If not, take the affidavit and police report to a magistrate and get a warrant.

Most people and insurance companies would prefer to settle than deal with a criminal complaint.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Advice....(long but I think I covered all of the bases)

I work for an insurance company in the subrogation department (the one that goes after your money). If I were you, I would first call the company that owns the vehicle and explain to them that sombody saw their truck hit your car, you are sure it was not on purpose and would they like to pay for the damages. If they would not could they please give you the name of their insurance company since that is what they pay premiums for. If they are uncooperative I would present a claim to your company and have them subrogate the claim (get their and your money back from the other company). You will have to pay your deductible this way but since it was an "other than collision (OTC) coverage it should not be too much money.

If your insurance company pays your claim and does not want to pursue the other company you can still go after somebody for your deductible. Lawyers work on contingency basis, if they do not collect you do not pay. You don't get all of your money back but some is better than none.

I would file a police report immediately whatever you do. Take pictures of your car too. Good preservation of evidence always helps your chances of getting your money back. Finally, remember that this could be a very long process.

If you have any questions just e-mail me.