A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Massive A4 Brake Update...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-1999, 08:18 AM
ErikR

Default Massive A4 Brake Update...

First,<p>I want to thank everyone for their help. I got a number of excellent questions on the brakes, people willing to share their experiences, and even stock parts for design. I am not going for these right now, the prices are still too high to do a decent package for me. But, here is what I learned.<p>1. Vortag makes excellent full kits. The Alcon B type brakes and 5.1 DOT (NOT 5.0) fluid will answer all your problem. Their approachi is to use great calipers on the stock A4-A8 (mediocre disks), then move to Coleman rotors (full racing). Their prices are decent, except for the mount (everyone wants way too much for these).<p>2. Brembo? Their full race (no dust seals, bad!) and monoblock designs are good. Their prices are unbelievably high. Pay for the hype. Don't get sucked in to the big red P calipers if you are not an expert. There are many bad deals out there, with misinfo (say isn't P using the brembo monoblocks? uh, yes, but only since '98) and outright fraud (using the old P rears for the front).<p>3. KVR. I sure wish that their advertising matched their product. Spendy, questionable, just plain hard to get a straight story.<p>Fade? Run some ducts and get DOT 5.1 fluid. Track race all day? Get the Alcons and Colemans as well. Sorry I wasn't able to get a better deal going.
Old 05-26-1999, 08:26 AM
Steve S.

Don't forget to return my rotor :-)
Old 05-26-1999, 08:28 AM
MichaelB

What about the various APR kits. They seem to have some good options.
Old 05-26-1999, 09:10 AM
ErikR

Nestor didn't send it back yet?
Old 05-26-1999, 09:11 AM
ErikR

Default Re: What about the various APR kits. They seem to have some good options.

APR is a fine company as far as I know. Vortag and APR apparently are cooperators.
Old 05-26-1999, 09:21 AM
Matt Daniels

I believe the APR kits are supplied by Vortrag.
Old 05-26-1999, 10:15 AM
Terry D

Default Re Brembo's

I went with the Brembo street kit (got a great deal thru friends in the industry, but that was not the ONLY reason).<p>I have seen some of the "993 rear" kits, and they were OK; but the Brembo's I have work great. I have to say it is one of the best upgrades I have done, both for the street and of course for track work. I faded brakes rapidly on the track, and warped all the rotors one day at Firebird East. Now, I do a LOT of passing under braking (on the track, too <g>) and have no fade or other problems. The pedal feel is much better, very progressive and easy to modulate. Good initial "bite" etc., but no spikes -- easy to control.
Old 05-26-1999, 10:21 AM
ErikR

Default Brembo's

We agree. You knew what you were doing, and got a deal. Most aren't this lucky.
Old 05-26-1999, 12:45 PM
Steve S.

Not yet
Old 05-26-1999, 12:57 PM
JonathanD

Default I rode in Stephen's (APR) A4 with the Alcon B Types on a 13" rotor and was absolutely amazed...

I went down to Auburn from Atlanta this weekend and hung out at APR all day. They said that it will stop from 60 in the upper 50ft range. From what I felt that sounds right. It was truly amazing. We got so far into some corners I was sure it was over. Beware, they have to be hot to work. But when they are hot, they work wonderfully. You have to pay for it though. I'd love to have them, but I'd have to sell my 1988 90 to afford them. I would have enough left over for some stainless steel break lines...<p>JonathanD

Quick Reply: Massive A4 Brake Update...