A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

is Mobil 1 ATF ok to use to top off power steering fluid? powersteering was making funny sounds,

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is Mobil 1 ATF ok to use to top off power steering fluid? powersteering was making funny sounds,

realized that it was almost completely out of fluid. I sucked out whatever old fluid was left there, and filled it with mobil ATF. So didn't flush the system, i hope that its not gonna be a big prob.

I did a search for fluids and Mobil ATF is one that came up, its the only one i could get at the store. I couldnt find anywhere that carries Pentosin 11s. I will probably order it though and flush the system and replace with pentosin fluid. Until then, is the ATF gonna be ok?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, worse case you replace your PS pump and maybe the steering rack...
Old 11-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Immediately get that ATF out and put pentosin in.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Robin, how much did the new steering rack cost you??

BitJockey knows what he is talking about
Old 11-12-2006, 06:03 PM

$2300 all said and done, new rack, pump, high and low pressure hoses. high end independent shop.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:03 PM

TJ: did you get the clutch finished?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default why would you say that? ... the mobil ATF was something Audi Junkie recommends, is his info legit?

i also looked up mobil 1 website and they said the ATF fluid is ok to use in powersteering
Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: thats a pretty bad scenario
Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM

its way too thick compared to the pentosin that is speced.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's the best "emergency" fluid & perhaps better than Pentosin.Dexron ATF is the most common PSF

A few points on this.
Pentosin CHF11S = 6cSt PAO hydrolic fluid with minimal AW/EP/FM additives.
Mobil 1 ATF = 9cSt PAO hydrolic fluid with high-tech AW/EP/FM additve package.

In that sense, when CentralHydrolicFluid 11S gets hot, it thins substantially allowing excess wear, generating additional heat and resulting in seal damage.
When Mobil 1 gets heated, it'll remain thick enough for the pump to lube, avoiding additional heat, and with the add pack, keeping it running even cooler yet! Problems averted. The physical propertices of Pentosin CHF 11S are exceptional (esp MIL-Spec ISO Particle Count), but also with Mobil 1 ATF a high-quality fluid with cold flow and volitility not an issue. Can there be elastomeric issues where seals are not compatible? Have at it, I am willing to listen.

FTR- Dex is the oem recomended PS fliud of choice in older Audis and most non-specific systems. When the 1992 fluid changeover was made, I don't see a difference in parts, just the new CHF11S fluid. Power steering fluid in itself is extremely basic fluid and Dex is an upgrade for those systems, I have done many, never lost a rack. I have Mobil 1 ATF in my 21 year-old Coupe GT, original system. So, can you TOP with Mobil 1 ATF? Definately and would not really rush to flush it out, totally compatible and comparable. A quickie flush will renew the system back to CHF, rather then had polluted the system with plain PSF. I have a car CHF 11S on Mobil 1 ATF now. A local mechanic had worked on it, (cracked resevior) and refilled with reg Dex. I swapped it over to Mobil 1 ATF, thankfully without double flushing out plain PSF. So, am I saying to run out and changeover to Mobil 1 ATF? Not yet (maybe) but there are advantages. In some instances, say an old original fill system...running low maybe, maybe just switch it with M1 ATF, even just for a one week flush. Away from home on a sunday night and finding a moan and low fluid...again, M1 is a hit. A system full of M1 ATF, you could always top with Dex in an emergency, even with a super-low CHF system, yes in emergency regular Dex. I am actually thinking about switching my new Acura over to Mobil 1 ATF this winter if that makes people feel any better.

Quick Reply: is Mobil 1 ATF ok to use to top off power steering fluid? powersteering was making funny sounds,