A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Monterey Historics newcomer: what are best day(s) and event(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-1999, 12:24 PM
Stoney

Default Monterey Historics newcomer: what are best day(s) and event(s)?

I'm new to Quattro Club and to the Monterey Historics. Our interest is Audi cars specifically. There seem to be quite a number of events, including Concours d'elegance which runs the same time as Sunday's races. We were thinking of attending just one day (limitations on the home front), probably Sunday. I've visited the web sites and called the contact numbers. But I still wonder:

Should I skip Pebble Beach and just go to the races?
What time to arrive to enter the Corral?
What other events have a strong Audi presence (e.g., are they at Concors d'Italiano)?
Will there be any displays of modern Audis, and if so, where/when?

Any help in sorting out the options will help.
Old 07-28-1999, 01:05 PM
Steve S.

Default Some suggestions..

Skip the Concours de Italiano at the Quail Lodge on Friday...it is a smaller event. The concours at Pebble Beach is on Sunday (I think)..but I would skip that too if you are trying to see Audis and you only have one day. The main deal would be to go to the Historics on Sunday (Saturday may be way more crowded...it sure was last year). The corral opens for entry at 7:30am...I believe..Ted Fisher (Quattro Club) knows for sure. I have his email address if you want it. Plan on arriving WAY EARLY....if not ..you will wait...and wait...and wait...and wait..to park. I might be volunteering at the corral on Saturday or Sunday morning...telling cars where to park.

Email me if you have more questions...Don't forget the dinner at the Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley on Saturday night...see http://www.norcala4club.com for more details.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
NorCal A4 owners club<ul><li><a href="http://www.norcala4club.com">NorCal A4 club website</a></li></ul>
Old 07-28-1999, 01:15 PM
RickS

Default Here is what I have been doing for the past 5 years

Fri: Italiano. There isn't much going on at the Race track and some of the Italian stuff is really cool, plus Quail Lodge is a nice place

Sat: Historic races, I agree with Steve S. sat is the most crowded but that is for a reason. Audi promises to have some good stuff there this year, R8R, old silver arrow type A, B, C, D, wouldn't want to miss it.

Sun: Pebble Beach, just a nice classy day to look at really expensive cars in teh most pristine setting avail. I am a photo nut so I get lots of opportunities there.

Overall, it is a car lover's weekend. Be prepared for crowds and traffic but the hassle is worth it!
Old 07-28-1999, 01:28 PM
Dennis

Default Re: Monterey Historics newcomer: what are best day(s) and event(s)?

Here's the deal.

Concorso Italiano is only on Fri.
Pebble Beach is only on Sun.
Historic races at Laguna Seca occur Fri. thru. Sun.

If you're only going to be in Monterey for one day and are only there for Audi-based fun, then go to the Historic races on Saturday. Audi will no doubt siphon a few show cars away from Laguna to PB on Sunday.