A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Monterey Historics Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 05:45 PM
Morgan Conrad

Default Monterey Historics Report

Here's my report from the Monterey Historics. I was there Saturday only.

The yellow S4 looked great. The black and silver seats looked much much better in person than in any pictures I've seen so far. The AVUS wheels were o.k. but didn't turn me on. No idea on price. The rest of the Audi booth was well set up and large.

In the OOOO paddock, a TT won "Best Audi". I think it was unmodified, but a striking color combo - the dark grey metallic color with the earthy brown interior. (How about that for a detailed description?) Normally I don't like that color interior but it was striking with that exterior - almost as sharp as the Santorin/Ecru on Stan's A4.

A green "AS4" Avant won best wagon. Probably because it was next to my dirty Santorin Blue one and looked good by comparison. (A couple of people voted for mine for "best paw prints on the hood".) But again, few mods (just fake S4 badges - anybody know what they really did?). But again, the earthy brown interior. I guess the voters liked that color. But I joked with Steve and Corey that with a few nice mods and a car wash I could win next time. Also saw Sharon, Audiboy and S.O., Christine & Mark, Frank, more... There were no Pelican Blue cars to compare to the Santorin Blue - I'm still deciding which I like better.

The Audi rally cars were cool with their mammoth headlights. I also liked the huge white wheels. I also spent a lot of time with my dad checking out the DKWs since he had one when I was a kid. It was also a good chance to check out the older Ur-Quattros and Coupes. Many cars were for sale.

BMW had the X-5. Like most SUVs, I don't see why you'd want it over an Avant, since they don't have any more space. Couldn't get any info on the 3 series wagon.

The historic races were lots of fun. In the first session, there was a 1910 car that could barely go 10MPH or so. As he rounded the hairpin on the last lap we all waved, and he waved back. Then he thought a second, reached his hand over the side, and squeezed the bicycle style horn on the side of the car. Big cheers from the fans!

The OOOO Silver-arrows (?) were cool but one sounded really really sick during one demo run, like the engine was about to die. I'm too spoiled by eerily quiet 30V V6s. The OOOO Formula One car was scary fast - watching it disappear behing the grandstands on the straightaway, then emerge way before you expected, was cool. The best place to watch (IMO) in up on the hill by "The Corkscrew", where you can also see (far away) the aforementioned straight leading into turn 1 (very mild) and 2 (the hairpin).

I noticed a pack of three A8s, all with Michigan dealer tags, and guys in suits standing around (on a very hot day). Later saw one of them outside a posh restaurant in Carmel. Anybody know who that was - Dr. Piesch maybe?

Nice job Audi and the Quattro Club!

Morgan