A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

More picture from Audi Experience in HK

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1998, 04:21 AM
vic

Default More picture from Audi Experience in HK

With Brad Jones at the wheel taking the witch hat course at full speed. Note how the car was sideway. BTW it's an A6 quattro.
Old 11-29-1998, 04:24 AM
vic

Default Re: More picture

This is taken on a demonstration of how effective ABS can be.
Old 11-29-1998, 08:45 AM
Steve S.

Default Usually......a threshold braking exercise is for

First off let me state that I may be off in this comment, but my understanding of threshold braking exercises is the they are intended to help the student understand where the point is that the brakes have maximum adhesion without locking up. You really cannot test this point with the Audi A4 since it has ABS. So, all one can learn is how you car reacts in a panic situation, and how ABS feels when fully operational. These ARE good things to know, but they do not help you learn where the limit of adhesion is. Racing cars, as many of you know, do not allow ABS. Therefore, race drivers REALLY need to know how hard they can put on the brakes without locking up the wheels. In some cases, in a racing situation, locking up the brakes can mean going off the track, and maybe crashing the car.<p>BTW, I am still in awe of this group of A4 owners in Hong Kong...I wish Brad Jones would come here...and bring Walter Rohr, Michele Mouton, Frank Biela, Ivan Muller, Emanuele Pirro, and the rest of the drivers of Audi race cars. Man, that would be a true dream come true....and to take a hot lap with them......HEAVEN.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 11-29-1998, 06:32 PM
vic

Default It's not a threshold braking test, Steve....

Steve,<p>That exercise is not a threshold braking test but merely showed us the difference between braking with and without ABS. Another strip next to the one shown in the picture were running cars with their ABS disengaged. But you are absoulately correct in your statement though.
Old 11-29-1998, 07:44 PM
Steve S.

Default Ahhhh...that is definitely different

I have gone to three driving schools in the past year and several have had the threshold braking exercise....after the second time thru (on the first day) I figured out this was a waste of gasoline/brake pads on a car with ABS. Your exercise would have been a valuable one though. BTW, some of the old Audi's could turn ABS on and off. <p>Lastly, Graham just got a chance to ride with Brad Jones in Australia...he just emailed me. He says that those boys really got that A8 sideways. Sound like a similar deal to what you folks had in HK.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-07-1999, 05:54 PM
ChuckH

This is for '98 2.8 engines. Possible loose screen. :-)
Old 01-07-1999, 05:57 PM
ChuckH

Default I agree with others. Hose was already weak and...

...there have been other failures with stock boost. As someone else noted, Samco hoses would have been less expensive, and are much (can't stress much enough)more capable of handling lots of boost. I wouldn't blame the Wett chip.<p>Charles<br>
Old 01-07-1999, 11:16 PM
James

Thanks. :-) Wish BCAA info was more specific.