A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

my current B5 A4 is probably worth 5K max.. 140,000 miles, a laundry list of problems.. Parts car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my current B5 A4 is probably worth 5K max.. 140,000 miles, a laundry list of problems.. Parts car??

my thought is, retire my current A4 and buy another B5 A4 1.8T Quattro with low(er) miles. Then I'll have a parts car and if I want yank the engine and start a build up I have no real time frame. Does this sound like a dumb idea? I think the main issue will be a place to keep the parts car. My parents will not be keen about it sitting in the driveway at their house and I don't know where I'm living at school quite yet.

Also, do you think 8-10K will get me a well taken care of, lower mileage, unmolested A4. I'm not going to go through with this plan until the middle of summer so I can take my time for the right deal to come along
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what are the problems it has now? might be cheper to fix em
Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Sounds like a plan to me.

In my area at least, one can go about renting one of those self storage "garages" for about $50 per month. Well worth it if you will be building a track worthy A4 in it! Get a 2001 1.8tqms w/ low miles and you'll be set for a good daily driver
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default getting a little younger of a a4 is just delaying your problems. Unless you can DIY car problems

an audi a4 (older) is not what you.
I am convinced people with audis should be either have the car when it is less than 5 years or 65k miles or know how to fix their own car. These cars are to much of a headache to deal with.

My car is 7k worth.. and I have spent about 4k in oil leaks, icm failures, coolant leaks, oil mixing with the coolant, oil cooler, air filters, etc.. To much to deal with. Once my car works again i am selling to dumping to a dealer.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the body is good/no rust/clean interior etc. it is always a better value to keep it running

then by a newer car. UNLESS there are SEVERAL major issues like internal motor problems, major trans issues etc.

If the whole car is only so-so and you're tired of it and what-not that's a different issue. You're probably not going to save any $$ at all in the long run.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's on the laundry list? Like DungBeetle said, if it's nothing major, it's worth repairing

and how much do you think you'd be transplanting? If you have a <99.5 and buy a >99, what would you want from the older one? If all you're thinking about is the engine, it's just not worth it. Also consider the costs of owning another car. The initial taxes, title and registration fees. Then what about the 1st car? Plan to leave it sit unregistered? That could be a problem depending on your local laws. Think of all the costs involved.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you had posted this last week I would have offered to buy back the suspension from you

I am taking off my aftermarket suspension and restoring the stock sport suspension. It has been somewhat of a challenge to find another one on the used market with low-ish miles. I guess the B5s are getting old.

-- P.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I do everything except wheel bearing myself
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my list of problems

1) I need a new passenger door (freind drug it up the side of a house, got ever panel on the passenger side and put a crease in the door)

2) both front seats are nasty (stained) and the heat does work

3) Clutch is getting ready to go again, I figure I have 5,000 miles

4) Sunroof doesn't open (I know, 12 bucks for new guides and a day in the garage)

5) TRE's + some control arms (the new(er) A4 I get will probably need the same)

6) Timing belt is quickly approaching

7) crusty mirrors

8) shifter assembly is ghetto-rigged right now (the rubber bushing ripped away from the metal housing, dealership wants 100 bucks for a new one)

9) Paint is starting to look pretty bad

basically I used and abused this car as an undergrad due to lack of time, space, and proper tools. Now as a graduate student I have a lot more money, more time and access to a garage and tools.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I am just tired of it at this point.. I want another B5 A4 though. Doesn't make much sense

I enjoy tinkering, I want to pull the engine and rebuild it, I want to pull the trans and rebuild it. I want to design and machine some of my own parts. (I'm a MechE grad student at a pretty big school so I have access to a pretty awesome machine/engine shop)

Quick Reply: my current B5 A4 is probably worth 5K max.. 140,000 miles, a laundry list of problems.. Parts car??