A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My impression of the Spec stage III clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impression of the Spec stage III clutch

I had my SPEC stage III 6-puck clutch installed today at Reid Vann here in St. Louis. My first impressions: The throw out is shorter, engagement is lower (thank god), clutch seems completely driveable, with barely a hint of chatter. I mean b-a-r-e-l-y. Take up is smooth and re-adjustment of driving style is minimal. Also as a quick note, I was told by the service techs at Reid Vann, that a six puck clutch needs roughly 50-75 miles of break in, as opposed to a four puck, which requires more due to having less surface contact. I'm still going to take it easy for the 500 though, just to err on the safe side. What's really funny though, is that I had been thinking about this clutch for so long, and how great it's going to be in my car, that when I went back to the service area I almost didn't notice the Porsche 908 race car in the corner. I asked who's it was and they said it was an Italian guy's. I went to look at it and low and behold, it was the Martini 908/3!!!! All original. Damn, damn, damn,
Old 10-23-2002, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How did you come to choose the stage 3 6 puck?

I have the 4 puck installed on my car. I talked to dave@spec and told him. I'm brutal on clutches and need something that will hold/last.

4 puck is what I got.. carbon/metallic material on solid disk, both sides.

jaime
Old 10-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Default It was a matter concerning Juan at PES

By the way, we spoke at the APR meeting in STL. I've got the 2001.5 silver, yadda, yadda, yadda. I believe then you were on a WOA stage 2 correct? Well with a bit of research, and the help of Jeremy I decided to go for a 6-puck only because I choose to circut race, instead of drag. I would have gone the route of the 4-puck, but it seemed to be counter productive to my needs of torque modulation and control.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Sorry I forgot the other part.

Juan seemingly went AWOL, leaving my WOA stage III out to dry. Needed a quick solution.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahh ok, I remember now.. stl..

I got it because I wanted to drag race it. I was just wondering how the 6 puck would compare to what I have now. Because I had to change my driving style to get used to it. I'll call spec's one of these days. And try to get some more info on their other clutches. And give them my feedback. It might be useful to them, for future audi owners.

jaime
Old 10-23-2002, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default did you get the aluminum fly wheel too?

I am getting the same clutch but I am getting the flywheel too.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:57 PM

Default See, I don't think they compare in terms of quality

They engage differently. Yours will bite faster and harder, while the 6 puck will last longer and hold up better in circut scenario's. I am interested in qualifying these opinions and all this info I've got so far, so how about when I get the ATP T3/T4 we draggum and find out??
Old 10-23-2002, 03:00 PM

Default Re: did you get the aluminum fly wheel too?

Nope, would not suggest it if you want to keep a sliver of driveability. I drove one and while it's good for racing, it almost has a negitive effect in traffic and just driving around. But whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default can you elaborate a little more please?

I have one on order and am having second thoughts about it can you give me some more details so I can try and figure it out?
Old 10-23-2002, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure I'm always down for some friendly drag racing ;) Bring it down to memphis motorsports

Then I'll come up to st louis and run at your drag strip. It's only 3 and half hour away.

What's your Eta on the atp kit? I didn't know it was released? and your 2001? or was it 1999.5?

jaime

Quick Reply: My impression of the Spec stage III clutch