A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My logic on the A4 vs. Evo decision.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My logic on the A4 vs. Evo decision.

So, now with my decision to get the EVO over going stage III, I figured I would share a few key reasons for those on the fence.

As we have seen, there is quite the debate over the overall value of this decision. In one corner we have Audi loyalists who share the common belief that Audi quality, aesthetics, and fit and finish supersede the violent performance attributes of the EVO in terms of overall value. In the other we have those who seek a driver's car with a performance capability beyond what the A4 platform can offer. (This I say knowing money is king, and with enough of it anything is possible).

When I made this decision, I knew I was taking a risk. Sounds strange I know, but, the idea of giving up what I consider a practical, spiffy, little ride for a tin can with a big turbo gets me all knotted up. As I write this, I'm still all torn up about selling my A4, and in a perfect world I would have both. But, I feel that just like breaking up a relationship, it's best to cut off all ties.

See, every discussion we have had here on the board pertaining to the EVO vs. A4 is quite relevant to me. And most of those discussions are about the same things. Performance value vs. the real world value of both cars. That and then, do both the EVO and the A4 cross paths on some mysterious scale that can be discerned and logically plotted, so easy decisions can be made. And the answer is no. The fact that the two cars are even compared, modded or not, is silly to me and begs the question of what are most of us trying to accomplish with our cars? I would say we are trying to build cars that suit our tastes for performance. Rarely have I seen or heard from a member whose primary interest was to achieve absolute luxury with an A4 through modding. It's just not the car for that. I mean, how realistic is it to say the A4 is a true luxury car? I'd call it a pseudo-luxury car for reasons that are my own. So the "luxury" issue became irrelevant to me, as that was never my focus, as much as I enjoyed sitting in it.

The real decision was made while taking a sweeping, off camber bend into a chicane in the EVO. All seemed still in the world at that moment. My mind was flooded with adrenaline, emotion, lust, and at the same time I was on the limit of the Yokohamas, while negotiating this bit of the road, without the faintest hint of doubt that the car would succeed. At that moment, there was nothing to say of luxury, or the paints finish, or the aesthetics of the car. There was just what makes me happy. And that's why Mitsubishi made the EVO.

So, yes, for some the EVO makes perfect sense when all the wishy-washy emotions and B.S. fall away after the first real drive. For others the A4 makes sense as it has its practical applications, looks good and performs quite nicely. At the end of the day I decided that what was keeping me attached to the A4 was merely my sentimental side. I was allowing sentimate to overpower what my true desires were. Anyhow, enough of my rambling, just my $.02.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

p-car.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Elder Member

What about it?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word: EVO. I would go straight to EVO if I have the money to spend.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Elder Member

Yep.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just drive that...

i'd keep the A4 if i'm in your situation...but then EVO's a good choice if you have the $$.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Although, I have not have my share (only replace the fuel pump for the last 2 years I own the A4....

knock on the wood quickly) but I would like to get away from the A4 since it had so many thing break down that you would find they lasta lifetime of the car on other
Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Even RAJ vote for the EVo, did he? LOL
Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Elder Member

Well, my car has been very good to me, but it's just time to move on.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 AM
Elder Member

I think he made his point based on my infatuation with the car. I don't know his feelings about it.

Quick Reply: My logic on the A4 vs. Evo decision.