A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My new A4 is 5 weeks old... impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999, 07:25 AM
Mike D.

Default My new A4 is 5 weeks old... impressions

Today is the fifth week with my new A4 2.8 QMS and I love it! I haven't really scratched the surface on it's handling limits, but it's cornering grip is superb! The power of the V6 isn't bad and it's real smooth. After my break-in period I decided to rev it up through 1st and 2nd... the first two times I hit the fuel-cutoff from overrevving. I wasn't watching the tach and the car suddenly stopped surging forward... opps, like I said, smooth. I also checked out its off the line power. I revved it up to about 3500rpm's, let the clutch out and my head snapped back! Forgot about the quattro If it sounds like I'm a drag racer, I'm really not, but I use to own a Mustang GT so I was comparing the differences in power.

Where the car really shines is in the rain! I LOVE driving in the rain now! Rain-X and Quattro are prefect together. Nothing like doing 75+ down the expressway in pouring rain while everyone else seems to crawling along! Couldn't do that in my Mustang, the rear end would start breaking loose... not so with the A4... love it!

I'm glad I got the cold-weather package... the heated seats are excellent! They are also fun to play with... I'll turn up the passenger side to 6 when a friend isn't looking and wait to see how long until they notice

There are a few things I don't like... the most noticeable are the sun visors... way to small, the sun always has a way of coming through. Also, I sometimes forget to turn my lights on because the dash lights are always on. The V6, while not bad like I said, could use some more power. I really can't think of anything else I dont like though.. and those I mentioned are minor (except for maybe the visors). Anyway, I'm enjoying this car alot and I'm very happy with my decision to get one!

Mike D.
Old 10-25-1999, 08:37 AM
Arch57

Default From another former Mustang 5.0 owner...

I've also had my 99.5 2.8QMS for about almost 4 months now. I had the same problems at first during break-in. The engine is so smooth that I would end up getting to 5-6K easily if I wasn't watching the tach. After awhile you get a feel for it. The Quattro is awesome, we had a drought here on the East Coast in July and I had to wait for a month to test it in the rain. It changes the way I drive since I have always had RWD cars. The handling is fantastic, perfectly balanced always under control and going where you point it. The car was easy to drive to begin with but it just gets more natural over time. Well execucted and I still love the way it looks.

The 2.8 engine does leave me wanting for a bit more power. However, the gearing is different than my Mustang, which had a very tall 5th gear (about 2000 RPM at 80MPH), so the A4 pulls nice on the highway from 70MPH in fifth. The S4 would be awesome but with 2 kids entering college in the next couple of years I promised my wife (and myself) to be content with the A4 for awhile. This is definately a keeper car.

Arch57
p.s. Just got my Dunlop Winter Sport M2's can't wait for the first snow fall
Old 10-25-1999, 09:10 AM
Mike D.

Default Re: From another former Mustang 5.0 owner...

I'm on the east coast also... South Jersey, you? You reminded me of the 5th gear which I forgot to mention... no more down shifting! In the Mustang I always had to down shift to 4th or 3rd gear to pass, but in the A4 I'll leave it in 5th (highway driving).

About your tires... did you get seperate wheels for them? I was thinking of some winter tires, I have the sports-package and wondering how well the SP8000's will do in the snow. Is it worth having 2 sets of tires?

Mike D.
Old 10-25-1999, 09:22 AM
RickD

Default From another south Jersy former Mustang 5.0 owner...

where are you in SJ? I'm in Haddonfield.
anyway, about your tire question; from everything I have read on this board, the Dunlop's are "dangerous" in bad weather. I go to the Poconos every weekend in the winter, so it was a no brainer for me, but most people on this board from this area also have winter wheels and tires. The Dunlop's performance will also be decreased by colder temps so a winter performance tire is a nice option. In my opinion, if winter tires keep you out of one ditch, they just paid for themselves. I purchased my second set of wheels from the classifieds here, and have a set of Pirelli winter 210 assymetrico's in plastic waiting for me to get around to having them mounted.

RickD
99.5 1.8tqms garrett
Old 10-25-1999, 09:26 AM
RickD

I actually live in south Jersey, not Jersy (wherever that is)
Old 10-25-1999, 10:00 AM
:>)

Right up the turnpike from Delawar
Old 10-25-1999, 10:15 AM
Mike D.

Default Re: From another south Jersy former Mustang 5.0 owner...

I live in Hammonton right now... was thinking of moving towards your area but I'd have a long commute to work (FAA Tech Center at AC Airport)
Old 10-25-1999, 12:48 PM
RickD

I read that 5 times before I picked it up. Good One!