A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My NJ Dealer Experiences (VERY LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My NJ Dealer Experiences (VERY LONG)

Almost bought a 2001 A4 in NJ at 4.04% above invoice. But, after a few considerations, the new redesigned A4, and getting the run around, I think I'll run my "Exploder", into the ground, and wait a year or two.

-2001 Audi A4 1.8T Sedan 5-Spd
-Hibiscus Red
-Clay/Ecru Interior w/leatherette
-Quattro
-Premium Package
-Sport Package
-Cold Weather Package
-Xenon Headlights

I got a quote a few weekends ago, the following Monday I emailed ten different dealers in Jersey, letting them know what I wanted and what I was already quoted. By mid morning my phone was ringing non-stop. Here's what I thought.

-Bernardsville (Bernardsville): a lot of hype from the post. When I got there I wasn't impressed at all. They do have a lot of pull on the vehicles that they can either order or locate and trade for you. They sell their service in exchange for paying a few extra $$$. I had basically decided to purchase the vehicle there, but after balking on the agreed price and then trying to F-me on my trade-in I passed. OVER-RATED!!!!

-TSE (Toms River): worked with a great guy, Kevin Dean, he didn't want to be the first to quote, instead, he asked if I would give him "Last Shot", which I can respect. Unfortunately, things didn't work out, he did quote $200 more than I was going to take. But, I would definitely give him a shot if you're looking in that area. Might be somewhat limited on what they can get you from another dealer.

-Paul Miller (Parsippany): a fantastic sales lady, Karolina Marusic, not bad to look at either, (recommended). She was busy with another customer and handed me the keys and said, "have fun, and we'll talk when you get back", (shouldn't it always be that way??). Gave a VERY competitive quote, but their service department was heavily shelled by this post.

-Jack Daniels (Fair Lawn): worked with a great guy, John Durkin. He found the car I wanted, gave me one of the lowest quotes. Unfortunately, John couldn't meet with us the night my wife and I went to the dealership, and his associate, p!$$ed-off my wife and I, to the extreme. (We both thought we were going to buy a car there, before we met this f!@#ing guy). Plus the post blasted their service. If your looking for price and a good salesman, try John Durkin, but besides him, I really don't have anything good to say.

-Princeton (Princeton): the original dealer that I went to, great technical knowledge. Started off great, but couldn't close the deal. Didn't budge off their original quote at 6.65%. Also their quality of service was in questioned on this forum.

-Bell (Rahway): using the advice of this post, I ran as fast as I could.

-Schneider & Nelson (West Long Branch): the guy gave me a half hearted email back. I replied but he never followed up. He works in sales???

-Flemington (Flemington): gave me a bunch of "I don't knows", and "well maybes". Ever heard of a first impression??

-DCH (Maplewood): guy called me half interested, didn't want to look, seemed like he only wanted to sell what was on the lot.

Anyone know where I can sell my "Exploder" for a reasonable price?
Old 10-16-2000, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try Bellavia and Newton Motorsports

While Bellavia in West New York may not be the cheapest, they will make up for it in satisfaction and service experience.

Also, consider Newton Motorsports. The owner and Service Manager both left AoBernardsville to open a new shop...

Both are performance friendly dealerships...
Old 10-16-2000, 12:40 PM

Great post. Everybody should share their dealer experiences. The dealers read this stuff.
Old 10-16-2000, 02:19 PM

Default Re: My NJ Dealer Experiences

My personal experience - Bernardsville gave me the best deal by far on my worn-out Explorer.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:44 AM

Default Dealer Nightmares

I've really been influenced by the posts on this board!

My two cents: avoid DCH/Essex in Maplewood. I went there twice, the second time with an appointment, and two different salesmen refused to let me test-drive. The first time, it was a busy Saturday, the wait was 1-1/2 hours. The second time, the "cars is not ready", even though I had an appointment and the salesman clearly knew I was coming and had 2 days to prepare for me.

Also avoid Jack Daniels in Fair Lawn, NJ. I am a 31-year old woman and an attorney. I've done my homework and I love cars. During my test drive, the salesman (Herman Gross) and I chatted about random things and I learned that Herman's daughter is a judge. Nevertheless, when it came time to bargain and I mentioned that I'd also looked at BMWs, Herman said, shaking his finger angrily (and I quote): "You go ask your Daddy about 4-wheel drive." You know, Herman, thanks for thinking that I'm 16, but with that insult to my intelligence I'm not buying a car from you.

So far, for me its a tie between Paul Miller and Bernardsville, whoever gives me the best price.