A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mystereous misfire problems continue...please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystereous misfire problems continue...please help :(

3 - 4 weeks ago, my car started to misfire under heavy engine load. If I drove normally, it would be fine, but when the turbo started spooling hard it would misfire like crazy. The same thing happened to me last winter, but the culpret was the coil-pack to spark plug connector. The weird thing this time is that it hasn't thrown a code. So, yesterday, I replaced the coil pack on cylinder 2, because the plug was the dirtiest. Immediately after installing it, it was fine again...until the next time I drove it - now it's back to misfiring. Either I'm I'm a douche-bag or this is a bad coincidence. Anywho, it can't be another connecter because I replaced all four. It is either the spark amplifier, another coil pack or maybe a plug, but I put in brand new NGKs about 3 months ago. I think I am going to try replacing the other three coil packs first. Does this sound familiar to anyone? WTF? I have a vag and so far no dtcs FDB 18T on aim

Thanks!
Jon Ghenn
Old 07-25-2002, 04:54 PM

Default Have you looked into the BPV and associated piping?

Mine did the very same thing as you discribed.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:20 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Even though no DTC's are being recorded, you should be able to read which cyl is misfiring, no?

It seems like you're guessing where the misfiring is happening and randomly replacing a coilpack. I would suggest you nail down the cylinder first. If it is still in #2, yes, I suppose the next course of action is the ignition amplifier (you did the plugs, boots, and coilpack on the misfiring cylinder, or at least swapped all with another good cylinder to prove that all of those components are still good, right?).