A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need an Atlantan to try and duplicate a problem I have with my stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-1999, 08:31 AM
EP

Default Need an Atlantan to try and duplicate a problem I have with my stereo...

When I tune into 90.1 (NPR) here in atlanta with the RPS turned on (displays station identifier and station type), the display flickers between OLDIES and CLASSIC ROCK. Its the only station that exhibits this behavior. I have a BOSE unit with version 002. Can anyone else in the atlanta area tune in and see if this happens to you?
Old 09-22-1999, 09:28 AM
Mark P

Default Doesn't RDS work off a database in the radio (more info)

and therefore it shouldn't flicker unless it thinks you are changing from 90.1 in one area to 90.1 in a different area.

This is how a few year old Pioneer unit works. You enter in the city/state you are in. It then checks the database to see what the call letters (and type of music) are for a given frequency. It has a roam feature that as you drive, say from NY to FL, as some frequencies start to come in and some start to fade out, the radio determines that you are moving and "knows" where you are. It's kinda a poor mans GPS. So as your gradual changes get noticed, you may end up in FL listening to the same frequency that you were in NY, but the radio now knows that the call letters are different (and music type).

This is/was an engineer's good idea as it is able to be implemented without changing the infrastructure of how the radio waves are being sent out (this info is all preprogrammed in the radio and none is sent through the radio stations)

This is how it was, I don't know about now.

If this info were to be sent through the air, then I had a (patentable) idea of including the artist and title of the song being played. How cool would it be to never agian wonder what song was currently playing on the radio?

Mark P
Old 09-22-1999, 09:40 AM
phred

Default Info comes from station ...

in their subcarrier. They can send along any kind of message they want - call letters, ad slogans, etc. There were other systems for a while that would look for types of stations (oldies, classical, news, etc.) and present them, but that's not RDS is for. In fact, in Europe they are supposed to use RDS for sending info about traffic and road conditions to cars.
Old 09-22-1999, 09:47 AM
Rodney

Default No, RDS info. is broadcast from the station

More and more US stations are are getting on board with this, but still not too many yet (depends on the area). I think 3 stations here in Jacksonville, NC have it, in the Boston areamost of the station I listen to have it. I think it is also set up to receive signals from emergency vehicles and road hazzard warnings, but I'm not sure (haven't seen that yet, but probably due to lack of implementation)...time to check the manual.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-22-1999, 10:14 AM
Koushik

Default I see the same!! I even called the station manager about it...of course nothing's been done

nt
Old 09-22-1999, 10:55 AM
DougR

Default Re: Info comes from station ...

I had a rental car in the UK a few years ago with an RDS equipped radio, and it would also scan for the same station on a different frequency when the one you're on starts to fade. Pretty handy there, where they have the same station being broadcast on many different frequencies throughout the country...I know of a few instances of this in the US, but not that many, so I don't know if that's a feature on our RDS radios or not.....
Old 09-22-1999, 11:28 AM
gmm

Just noticed the same last weekend coming back from Petit Lemans
Old 09-22-1999, 02:35 PM
Kennon

I see the same thing.