A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need your opinions -- Which brake upgrade to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinions -- Which brake upgrade to do?

I'm trying to decide between an A8 rotor upgrade or the ECS Stage I upgrade.

Info:
A8 rotor upgrade - uses TT carrier and stock caliper. A8 rotor diameter is 312mm. Replacement rotors are readily available from Audi and aftermarket suppliers.

ECS Stage 1 - uses 332mm floating rotor and stock caliper. Replacement rotor rings are cheap, but if ECS goes under, I'm SOL when it comes time for maintenance.

If I do the floating A8 rotors that ECS offers, the price for each kit comes within $50 of each other.

Opinions? Thanks all.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Elder Member

boxter caliper with A8 rotors?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Boxster caliper

Couple of questions about that:

1) Do I need a new carrier for the Boxster caliper? If so, are there kits out there that do the rotors/calipers/carriers?

2) How much will the Boxster caliper run me?

I'll do a search, but I figured I'd ask since you mentioned the idea. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Default A8 Kit

It's a great street replacement kit, replacement rotors are inexpensive, calipers are retained as are pads, so you still have a ton of pad options.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/description.php/II=810/CA=309/PA=3">A8 Brake Kit</a></li></ul>
Old 05-13-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Hahaha nice plug Mike...

...but if I do the A8 kit, I was planning on buying from you anyways

Do you know anything about the Boxster caliper upgrade Liam is talking about?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default more of a difference going from stock rotor->a8 rotor,than a8 rotor->boxster caliper

please correct me if i am wrong, this is what i have heard.

i believe you can pickup boxster calipers from the junk yard for cheap.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
FAQ Author

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

260$ those got cheap... i might have to jump on that one
Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Former Vendor

Default Nice plug Liam!

Liam has some adaptor brackets that will allow you to fit the Boxter caliper over the A8 rotors. The calipers obviously are a nice looking set, and work great. They do add quite a bit to the price of the kit, and if you're just a casual street user, than the stock calipers really are plenty. If you plan to do any agressive driving, either on the track, auto-x, or otherwise, the boxster calipers will allow a much better pedal feel, and more even pad wear with agressive driving.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It involves upgrading the calipers from a porsche boxster S and having to find a new set of carriers

the boxster S calipers are the same as those from a 996 not to be confused with "big reds" which are from a 993 turbo. The carriers are hard to find but seem very easy to make. The calipers tend to sell for around 350-600 a pair and are an awesome upgrade. I just ugpraded to A8 and am very happy with the results. The way I would describe the upgrade is a noticeable improved braking feel, and even perhaps stopping distance without any difference in pedal feel. The ECS 13.1 inch stage 1 upgrade is better and worse for several reasons.

It is a two piece rotor with an aluminum hat. Unlike the A8 upgrade it is actually lighter than the stock rotors decreasing unsprung mass. While the difference in acceleration is minimal going from stock to a8, I have no doubt in my mind that I can feel a difference. I certainly would have gone with the 13.1 if being able to run the kit behind stock wheels was not an issue for me.

Besides requiring 17 inch wheels the other problem with the Tru Float rotors is the process with which they are replaced. You need to send your old ones in so that they can press a new rotor onto the rotor hat. This means downtime, however at least upgrading the rotors is cheaper with tru float then with 1 piece.

After some reconsideration I wish I had gone with the 13.1 for several reasons. A boxster caliper will not fit behind stock wheels anyways. I will be upgrading to boxster calipers soon after I buy new wheels. The 13.1 is actually cheaper for what you pay for because there it retains the stock caliper carrier. The decreased mass will improve acceleration. I will be making the carriers for the boxster calipers myself and really do not care for the TT carriers.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 AM

Default WHAT?

what are you talking about.

Do you have any experience with this or are you talking out of your ***?

I went from stock 288&gt;&gt;&gt; 312 (a8)&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; boxster calipers. There is a big difference between stock calipers and four piston brembos. The 4 pots are better in every way I can think of... considerably better... worth the $$$ better.

Quick Reply: Need your opinions -- Which brake upgrade to do?