A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

THE NEW TRANS IS IN!!!!!......update on trans and borla, question about tip chip.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE NEW TRANS IS IN!!!!!......update on trans and borla, question about tip chip.....

i picked up the car today, the new tip trans is installed. first of all, i still have no clue what the actual problem was because i didnt get a chance to talk to the service writer about the car. i just had to pick it up and go.

it feels a bit clunkier than before, and it will take longer on downshifts. i assume this is just because its being broken in, but its a bit disconcerting.

now, for that tip chip question: i know theres been lots of talk about whether or not a tip chip will harm the trans, but who here can offer up an expert opinion on the matter? my opinion is that it will hurt the trans life because you are forcing the transmission to do a job in less than half the time that it was designed to do it. granted, some say this means less torque converter slipping, but that doesnt bother me. my torque converter was fine, my trans is what blew.

ill update you guys as i break in my new trans. also, ill let you know how my borla stuff goes. im gonna call them up about the damn sandblaster noise. also, im gonna disconnect the rear muffler section to see if it is a restriction in the muffler or tips that is causing the noise.

anybody got any comments? (this means you bug)
Old 07-27-2001, 10:15 PM

glad to hear everything went well bro...
Old 07-28-2001, 05:36 AM

Default my comment is that the tip chip had nothing to do with it....

brake torque'ing an auto for launch purposes is bad news... I know you did it multiple times... and *thats* something the tranny was not designed to do.

Next time, leave in in neutral, rev to 4k, and rip it into drive.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:36 AM

Default Break in

I'm at the 6000k mark. I called during the 2-3K because that was about the time I started pushing the car a little more.
I noticed it to be as you say "clunky". In these situations:
at 65mph and tromping on it
and full acceleration from rest and backing off the pedal to cruise.
The biggest downfall of the auto selection is trying to accelerate out of a corner and having to deal with 1 sec kick down. I have noticed this has all smothed out a bit. But wonder there is a pile of metal filings in the transmission some where.
Also I find it odd the APR does not have a TIP CHIP. I'm sure they could figure it out if they thought they could produce a good product.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:20 AM

i dont have a tip chip, i was considering one before the trans went. dont patronize me, i know.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Borla is screwing me up as well.....

Sandblaster noise as well, and PGPerformance was not too helpful either to help me out....
So I'm going to take it to my local shop and get them to check it out, first opinion from them was that there is a leak somewhere at the rear.....

&gt