A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A night of trolling (i mean shakedown testing my car) :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A night of trolling (i mean shakedown testing my car) :)

I learned how important a good launch is particularly with a bigger turbo car, there's no boost from 2-3k to help you...if you bog its a painful wait till 3k while the opposing car gains distance.

I ended up running a LS400, the big V8 Lexus boat, not the current redesigned model, but just a year or two old.

First light i launched perfectly, it was wonderful, i got 1 car length by the end of first, and once you hit second its over, i just fast walked away....amazing.

Second light i bogged my launch, so he stepped out to a 1 car lead. I spent first gear just making up that lead and when i hit 2nd gear we were even, at which point i fast walked him. But im sure he was happy about that.

I could tell he was getting pissed. I lowered my windows when we reached the 3rd red light and he wouldnt look over...meh.

I can see how some big turbo guys have gotten into engine trouble...redline comes really quick, and if you don't pay close attention you can hit the rev limiter quick. Im not sure if i should start shifting at 6500...i get uncomfortable taking the VW 1.8T to 7000, sounds NO where near as happy as my Miata is to get to 7k...opinions from big hairdryer owners is really appreciated on this point. The car does pull cleanly till 7k, so boost is not tapering off. Contrast that to the KO3 where it makes no sense to rev over 6k.

Earlier today coming back from a haircut i ran into a 2 gen old Mustang LX 5.0 sedan, the kind i love. Was most enjoyable to watch the kid's face in the mirror as i downshifted, lined up alongside at ~35mph, looked over waited for him to go. His V8 roars to life, i hit WOT, and walk him rather quickly. Was a beautiful dark blue...the kind i want to buy in a few years and build up as the musclecar in my garage.

After 100 miles with the T28 i think the best description of the car is: violent. Helped that the temps were perfect tonight. Even then, when i got home waves of heat were emanating from the engine bay...the temp gauge never moved two ticks under 250 (where it always sits) but i suddenly i want to pop my hood and idle for a couple minutes, then leave the hood propped for awhile.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 07-26-2002, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

What, no WRXs?
Old 07-26-2002, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, i did line up with a Lightining...

i was so excited to run a fast car...but he didn't want to play

After that WRX's comment, im thinking my sig line should read "so fast you'll think im spraying!"

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 07-26-2002, 07:33 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default We've created a monster!

Old 07-26-2002, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, you must have done this, don't lie...

i used to wait with breath abated for your posts back when you were the only guy with a kit...i still remember that story of the Porsche, etc... I swore on that day that if i ever got powered by Conair (big hairdryer) i would post stories, and impressions galore.

I think i need a couple weeks before i calm down. For the last 1/2 a year ive gone on night drives because i just enjoy driving at night.

Oh, and new clutch goes in a week or so...so i have a great excuse to abuse my current one, right?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 07-26-2002, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: heh, you must have done this, don't lie...

Which clutch kit are you going with?

Chad
Old 07-26-2002, 07:39 PM

Default I always leave the hood popped all night after a hard night/evening of driving.

it definetely helps the cool down. but im more concerned about the damage the paint on the topside of the hood undergoes with all that heat. on my old car it started to crack after 95k. and it was NA.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:42 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ahhh the days....

and don't calm down - I'm living vicariously thru you :P

And so many folks thought I was full of it. Glad to see you having the same fun I did. It's pure intoxification.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:56 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

he woulda smoked you like a phattie.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ya he better.

Quick Reply: A night of trolling (i mean shakedown testing my car) :)