A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

No luck on 6 attempts to fix issues....can you figure it out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No luck on 6 attempts to fix issues....can you figure it out?

My dealer has been having little success over 6 attempts and 7 months trying to figure out a seemingly related set of intermittent issues on my '01 A4 1.8TQMS (no mods). Since they are stumped, maybe you can help.

Intermittent functionality initially occurred in the speedo, cruise, trip computer, door locks, and speed-controlled door locks. The dealer replaced a speed sensor to fix these issues. The intermittent speedo and trip computer seemed to be fixed, but the other problems returned. In addition, I now have a problem with throttle response. Specifically,

* Cruise control either cannot maintain speed (surges +/-) or simply does not work at all.

* Speed controlled door locks never lock at the right times. Recently, they now have started locking on deceleration to stop lights.

* Throttle response is jerky. If I hit the gas in any gear, the car jerks. Similarly, if I quickly release the gas, the car jerks. Normally, jerking is somewhat normal with a manual transmission in lower gears for quick changes in throttle; however not in 4th and 5th gear, which is what I am seeing.

Usually when these problem arise, I notice the cruise first, the locks next, then soon after the throttle does not work correctly. So, what has happened recently?

* Within the last month, I managed to get the car to the dealer while all the issues were occurring. No codes were found, but the tech thought the issue was the Mass Airflow Sensor. Part ordered.

* When I bought the car back to have the MAF installed, the dealer decided to perform more diagnostics. At this point they thought the issue was not the MAF sensor, instead it was due to a faulty cruise control stalk. Part ordered.

* Bought the car to the dealer before the cruise stalk came in, because the check engine light came on. Diagnostics indicated the speed sensor was hosed again. Speed sensor ordered. They also replaced the speed stalk just in case

* On this last trip, they replaced the speed sensor.

I get the car at the dealer only to discover that the throttle, the door locks, and the cruise control are all still hosed. I'm at a loss...and I suspect the dealer is also.

Anyone have any ideas what these issues could be related to? Searching the boards turned up similar problems, but no one seemed to be having all of these issues.

TIA!
Ted
'01 A4 1.8 TQMS (no mods)
Old 07-20-2002, 12:06 PM

Default 2 words: Lemon Law

Depends where you are (laws vary by state), but with hassles like that I'd put all my efforts into lemon-ing it.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, i agree. <yellow>LEMON</yellow>