A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Now that PES's Supercharger is almost complete... competition it going to heat up between APR & PES

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 07:04 AM
Marcus Frost.es

Default Now that PES's Supercharger is almost complete... competition it going to heat up between APR & PES

These two high end upgrades for the 1.8 are going to re-ignite the question of turbocharging or supercharging. From information I have read, it seems that they are pretty even off the line, with times ~5 seconds.

I want to see a Stage 3 APR 1.8TQM versus a PES Supercharged 1.8TQM.

I am wondering myself on which route I want to go. Supercharged or Turbocharged. Cost will be a factor as well. I don't know, I'll have to wait until both are officially released. Any additional feedback or comments on the issue are appreciated. Opinions on personal preferance for which route you would prefer is welcome.

Marcus Frost.es (In Spain)
1.8TQM (waiting)
Old 08-12-1999, 07:13 AM
CraigB

Isn't the PES 1.8T SC used in addition to the turbo?
Old 08-12-1999, 07:22 AM
sdtagw

The last time I heard, the answer is no.
Old 08-12-1999, 07:22 AM
kj

its one or the other, not both!
Old 08-12-1999, 07:29 AM
MichaelB

Default I drove in the PES prototype...

For street driving, the PES system is going to be hard to beat. I would have never thought that it would even be possible for a 1.8 to have that type of torque down low! It is incredible. They have made some revisions since and Tony says that it is night and day. I said, "so how does it feel?" I believe the word he used to describe it was "insane". It is supposedly going to be quicker than the PES 2.8! A suspect the gearing will also play a part in that. I am sure the 2.8 would outpace it on the highway. For track use, the APR may be a better way to go, with the high-end efficiency of the turbo.

Mike
Old 08-12-1999, 08:06 AM
CraigB

Geez...sorry. I searched the archives and read a bit.
Old 08-12-1999, 09:04 AM
Dmak

Default Turbo is better

My opinion is that the SC can't be upgraded later on for more HP.. Sure you can ad a front mounted intercooler, but changing the supercharger to a larger one for more Hp will not be possible.. You are pretty much stuck to the potential of the SC as to where Turbo you can swap the turbo out for a larger one..

DMak 1.8TQMS waiting for APR stage III and beyond.
Old 08-12-1999, 09:08 AM
Shabbis

Default Yeah and destroy youtr little engine at the same time. There are limits you know.

nt
Old 08-12-1999, 09:27 AM
Dmak

Default Re: Yeah and destroy youtr little engine at the same time. There are limits you know.

Not if you do it the correct way and upgrade all the internal parts as you increase in Hp.. The engine will be able the handle the power with no problem..

Dmak 1.8 TQMS
Old 08-12-1999, 09:45 AM
Shabbis

Default True, but you can do that to any car out there, with the right parts and cash.

nt

Quick Reply: Now that PES's Supercharger is almost complete... competition it going to heat up between APR & PES