A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

NY Speeding Ticket update in my A4 (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 07:56 AM
Arch57

Default NY Speeding Ticket update in my A4 (more)

I posted a couple of weeks ago about getting caught on NY I-90 in my A4 doing 78 in a 65 and thanks to the folks who replied with advice that ranged from plead guilty and get on with it to fight it with a lawyer.
Well since I am from CT and have a clean record I decided to plead guilty, send a letter of explanation and await the mercy of the local court of the town of Canajoharie NY. I ended up with a $90 fine which seems reasonable and I don't have to drive back up there next week and spend a whole day in court, etc.
The bummer is that while my A4 wants to cruise at law breaking speeds I am now a little more careful and it has taken some of the fun out of driving the A4!

Watch those speed traps.
Arch57 99.5 2.8QMS
Old 02-18-2000, 09:17 AM
Roadrunner

too bad radar detectors are illegal in CT, a Valintine would be pretty useful
Old 02-18-2000, 09:28 AM
ChrisR

Dont think they are anymore...used to be
Old 02-18-2000, 09:31 AM
Mark P

That was YEARS ago (10?). Only illegal in DC now I believe (was CT, VA & DC?)
Old 02-18-2000, 09:33 AM
ChrisR

Default Thats what I thought, they used to have signs

on all the major highways saying that they were illegal..now the signs are gone. I think detectors are still illeagal for use in VA.
Old 02-18-2000, 09:42 AM
Peter Brennan

Default You lucked out, 14mph over is not that big a deal in NY.

Hopefully, the trooper reduced the speed he clocked you aton your ticket. In New York State, 15mph and up over the limit is not pretty with respect to fines.

Plus, all those podunk towns upstate are looking for revenues only.

If in the future you drive the Taconic State Parkway-WATCH OUT.

Good luck, and watch out for the troopers,

Peter
Old 02-18-2000, 10:53 AM
MJD

Default I think its disgusting...

These small towns rely on guys like us to just quietly pay and walk away -- i's nothing more than a money making thing.

Last year I got nailed doing 72 in a 55 at the junction from the Mass Tpke to the Taconic (the speed limit drops from 65 to 55). I mean, gimme a break. The municipality charged me $110 and gave me 4 points on my liscence.

If I had the time, I would have fought it, but they know nobody is going to take a day off from work to go up to Podunk, NY and fight a speeding ticket. That's why they target guys in nice cars -- they know we have $.

My $0.02
Old 02-18-2000, 10:53 AM
I know, I drive there

Radar detectors aren't illegal in CT.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:32 PM
Drew S.

Correct. Detectors are still illegal in VA.
Old 02-18-2000, 08:30 PM
Sean R.

Default Another interesting rider on that same law (see inside)

When that law passed it contained a rider that stated that if you plead no contest to a ticket, the state will not post points on your license. Before you CT drivers get all hard though, the answer is yes, your insurance company still finds out.

Quick Reply: NY Speeding Ticket update in my A4 (more)