A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OEM Front bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-1999, 12:14 PM
gman

Default OEM Front bra

I bought a front bra, from my local Audi dealer Carlsen of Palo Alto, for use on long highway trips. As a result I haven't used it much, however I recently used it and noticed that it was wearing out at the bottom, below the front bumper(the unpainted part). <br>I complained to Carlsen and they told me that they would have to send it back to the manufacturer. <br>I got a call yesterday from Carlsen saying that the maufacturer has refused to replace under warranty on the grounds that the cover was not pulled tight enough at the edges, by the wheel arch. However, from the wear on the cover, which was due to flapping, because it was loose, you can clearly see that the wear is inbetween the elastic hooks. <p>Anybody, have the same problem?? Any ideas what I should do?
Old 02-03-1999, 12:30 PM
Becker...

Default Exact same problem, much better solution.

Put a brand new OEM bra on my car before a 3500 mile road trip. When I got back, the bottom of the bra was beginning to fall apart, right where you described it. I took the bra to my dealer when I had my next oil change, about a week after I got back, and by the end of the day, they had a new one waiting for me. Still haven't opened the new box. Was there any evidence, besides the damage to the bra, that it had not been pulled tight (i.e. the metal wheel well clips were not fully tightened)? Did the manufacturer even see the bra? I would make Carlsen fight it, they took it back from you, now it is their problem. I think a dealer has a lot more pull with a manufacturer than a customer. Good luck.
Old 02-03-1999, 12:58 PM
Oscar

Default I had the same problem and AoA replaced it

`
Old 02-03-1999, 01:57 PM
Christian J. Long

Everyone I know with an OEM bra has had it fail in one on many ways
Old 02-04-1999, 07:23 AM
Darryl W

Default Re: OEM Front bra

I have the OEM "nose mask", and I use it religiously - I dont leave the driveway without it. My car is about 7 mo old now, and I have not had any problems with it, especially the one you describe. Are you sure that all of your clips are properly secured? Is the bra snug against the bumper in all spots? <p>I've seen a lot of bras which aren't secure around the edges, and besides looking terrible and being worse than useless, they can't protect the car when not snug. When you look at the bra on the car, are there any spots where you can see paint where the bra should be? In other words, it should stretch completely from wheelwell to wheelwell, and there should be no bumper paint showing on either side. If there is, the bra should be pulled tighter or it is too small and should be replaced. Look at the pictures of my car on this site - the bra fits perfectly and yours should look the same.<p>If you're still not happy, check out the Colgan bras, or the website www.carcover.com - they have custom bras too, and they seem to be knowledgeable (I will probably buy a bra for my Z and an Evolution 4 cover for my subaru from them).<p>Good luck,<p>Darryl <br>98.5 1.8T qmsb