A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil cooler seal is bad, I think, not sure what my next step should be.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler seal is bad, I think, not sure what my next step should be.

There is oil coming from what I think is a seal between the oil cooler and the part it mounts to, Oil Cooler Filter Housing. Do I just have a bad seal or is the oil cooler bad too? Maybe I need to take it off to find out. Does anyone know or know of a write-up online that might take me through it. The area circled in the picture below is where the oil is coming from.

Found a link that goes through it: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Oil-Cooler-DIY

Last edited by jimmy154; 12-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea you have to take it off to find out for sure. But if it was me, I'd buy that gasket before I took it apart.

I changed that gasket once. Instead of draining the coolant and taking those coolant hoses off the oil cooler, just take off the oil filter, then the nut on the pipe going into through the oil cooler, then you can just unscrew that pipe. Then the oil cooler is still attached to the water hoses but can be pulled away from the oil pan so you can change that gasket.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Yea you have to take it off to find out for sure. But if it was me, I'd buy that gasket before I took it apart.

I changed that gasket once. Instead of draining the coolant and taking those coolant hoses off the oil cooler, just take off the oil filter, then the nut on the pipe going into through the oil cooler, then you can just unscrew that pipe. Then the oil cooler is still attached to the water hoses but can be pulled away from the oil pan so you can change that gasket.
That's great advice, thanks. I thought maybe I would take the cooler off to see if it was okay, but I'm not sure if that's necessary and I don't know what I would be able to see, if anything, anyway.

I took a coolant hose off already, but put it back on when I realized that it was a coolant hose. It looked like it might have some oil in it. I think it was browner than normal. I'm going to change the oil and coolant.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Brown coolant - very bad. You might want to take it to a shop and have them test for oil in the coolant. If that oil cooler went **** on you, it can trade oil and coolant. At the least, take a good look at the oil you drain out to see if there is water in it.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I changed the gasket, but I could only tighten the oil cooler jam nut to about 10-15 ft/lbs. I'm not sure if that's enough.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmy154
I changed the gasket, but I could only tighten the oil cooler jam nut to about 10-15 ft/lbs. I'm not sure if that's enough.
'sposed to be 22 ft/lbs. You should be able to get a big socket over it. If you don't have a metric socket that size, I believe there's an American socket that fits perfectly if I recall right. You can get it again at the next oil change.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Install your oil filter and run it. If no leaks, it's tight enough.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
'sposed to be 22 ft/lbs. You should be able to get a big socket over it. If you don't have a metric socket that size, I believe there's an American socket that fits perfectly if I recall right. You can get it again at the next oil change.
Yes, 1 inch socket is suppose to fit, but mine doesn't maybe because it's one of those sockets with waves in it (don't know what they are called, even after searching the net), rather the a hexagonal socket bit.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, 1 inch socket is suppose to fit, but mine doesn't maybe because it's one of those sockets with waves in it (don't know what they are called, even after searching the net), rather the a hexagonal socket bit.
i don't know if it applies here but today i read a thread on vortex about using an oil filter gasket inside the oil cooler
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by xsrfsno225x
i don't know if it applies here but today i read a thread on vortex about using an oil filter gasket inside the oil cooler
In a pinch maybe, but the cooler seal is an O-ring, not flat like a filter gasket, so I wouldn't trust it.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler seal is bad, I think, not sure what my next step should be.