A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ok, I have now 350 miles on my 2001 1.8t... (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I have now 350 miles on my 2001 1.8t... (kinda long)

and here's my personal "report" on my new ride. The stock 1.8t QMS is quick, not fast (maybe its just me, but I thought my last car, a V6 190 hp 4x4 manual was almost as quick without the Audi handling). I wish the stock 170 hp was a bit faster. The Quattro sports suspension is very nice... the car does sound a bit wimpy, but at the same time, I'm amazed at how quiet it is inside the car... the turbo lag is slightly annoying... the interior details are great and a real luxury for a decent priced car, plus the styling of the car is just simply exquisite... the Bose is ok, but I'm not into my music too loud anyhow...the cup holders are pretty useless... wished I got the tan interior instead of onyx only because onyx can't hide dust well... curious about the EPS (?) option... CAN NOT WAIT TO CHIP IT in order to release the engine's potential, the 1.8t is borderline boring, maybe boring is the wrong word, perhaps a bit too "subtle" for my taste, but I do expect the chip (AMS, APR or GIAC, still can't make up my mind yet) to fix that. I can't wait to tint it as well, the onyx interior gets toasty here in L.A. Maybe a short shift, but that's about all I would like to do to it... for now. Any suggestions? Listening to most of you praise your chipped rides, and most of you sound happy, I think I need to jump on the bandwagon.... like soon, real soon.<p>2001 1.8T QMS
Silver/Onyx
Cold Weather
Bose
Premium
Old 09-17-2000, 06:42 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Some solutions.

You're right, the chip will take "boring" out of your car. Be patient, and you won't regret it.

For the dust, go to your grocery store and pick up a box of Pledge Grab-It's. It picks up every little speck of dust effortlessly.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:50 AM
Elder Member

Default CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT

I have a '00 A4TQMS w/xenon and I put in APR's EMCS chip three weeks ago. LOVE IT. Plus the flipswitch is just butter, I love being able to switch programs on the fly. APR has the real advantage there, plus they wrote the book on customer service. You will NOT regret chipping your car.
I also opted for the sport package, although all that's left of it is the sport steering wheel (which is now standard on '01s I'm told). After putting on 17" BBS RXs the car needed to be lowered for my tastes. H&R sports went on next. No regrets there, either.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:53 AM

Default Regarding chipping your car...

There's currently an APR group buy being hosted by Ryan Hodorovitch (ryan.hodorovitch@wcom.com) that will get you $100 off of the new '01 APR chip (207 hp/245 lb-ft). This would wake the engine up for you and only cost you $399. Email him for details. Good luck!<p>Yertl
'01 1.8TQMSX Black/Opal
Old 09-17-2000, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, do you have a pic of your rims on the car?
Old 09-17-2000, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have APR EMCS and love it. You can't go wrong with APR, and from what I've heard Garret is great..

too. Check out the chip survey on this website www.audizone.com It will give you an idea if ither peoples prefernces. Also think about future mods. If you think you will change the turbo, APR makes kits 280+ hp wilth Garret GT25 turbos with apropriate hardware and APR custom software. It's pricey, but woth it. If you chip with APR, you get free upgrades and only pay for software once. I.E. if you have their chip, and then you go with their stage III turbo upgrade ($5000), you get a $500 discount (pay only ($4500) on the price since you already have their chip and all software upgrades are free. If you want to go the slightly less powerful (240-260 hp) and less expensive K04 route, Garrett software is necessary for those kits, so chipping with Garret now would make more sense. Just my opinion, good luck.

Ray Khan<p>rakha
Old 09-17-2000, 07:23 AM
Elder Member

No, sorry. But it looks gooooooooooooooooood!!
Old 09-17-2000, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm in the same boat...

I was thinking of both chipping and a new high performance exhaust system. I've been reading that it would add an additional 15 HP.
Old 09-17-2000, 10:57 AM
bac

Default I have 800 on my 2001 1.8tq

I noticed that with the AC on all the time (this is Tampa, FL) the power is not quite what I would like. I am going to chip it, but my dealer is an Audi/BMW/Porsche dealer and has a motorsports and tuning capability. If they do it, it is covered under warranty, so I am going to wait to see what they recommend for the 2001's.
Old 09-17-2000, 01:38 PM

Default Thanks people... I'm seriously considering the APR groupbuy... and

about the APR EMC's, wouldn't the dealer automatically void the warranty since they can see the switch?! I'm leasing my car and really need the warranty... I'm thinkin' about the APR + spare ECU so I can swap it if I ever take it into the dealer...<p>2001 1.8T QMS
Silver/Onyx
Cold Weather
Bose
Premium

Quick Reply: Ok, I have now 350 miles on my 2001 1.8t... (kinda long)