A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OT: Subaru WRX National Event: Ottawa (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Subaru WRX National Event: Ottawa (long)

Subaru National Event - Ottawa

For those of you who didn't know, Subaru is going across Canada promoting the new Outback H6 VDC and Impreza WRX. Basically, it is an invitation to the public to learn and try out either/both cars. Originally, I forgot to sign up for the event because I was so busy with work. But fortunately, my brother had signed up for both the events in Montreal and Ottawa. He went to the Montreal one and gave me his spot for the Ottawa one.

The event was very well organized. It was held at the Rideau Carleton Raceway. Basically, you get to learn about the car, go for a road test drive and drive around a course in the parking lot. There were two courses, one for each car.

For the Outback, the course was short. They laid down some kind of panel and then put some Sunlight detergent with water on it so that they could demonstrate the stability control. They had a Jeep Cherokee to compare it to.

For the WRX, it was a longer course with the first half starting on gravel. It starts with a slalom and then a nice turn onto the pavement. From there, it was a nice U turn and then a quick S turn. Of course, they don't let you open up the car so you don't get open up the car. I drove both the manual and automatic. The automatic was slow to react when coming out of the turns. But who would buy a car like this with a slushbox anyway? The best part was the hot laps where the instructors took 3 passengers around the course. Holy *&^%, they did not hold back. The WRX was easy to get the tail out and felt neutral all the way through. I got out of the car each time grinning ear-to-ear. Simply awesome.

On the road-drive, they had 10 WRX available. I was fortunate enough to get one with a manual. The car is pretty quiet at cruising speeds. When you hit the go-pedal, there's a nice turbo whistle and grunt to the motor. There's a bit of lag under 3000rpm but it's quite exhilarating when you open it up. This car is fast. The car is also very tossable from what I got out of the test-drive. Interior isn't that great. Quality of materials is similar to that found in economy cars. Plastics and carpets felt cheap for a $35k Cdn car. Seats felt great and really hold you in. Stereo is so-so. Shifter is nice and short. Momo steering wheel is nice.

Subaru put on a good event. They were very friendly and nice people to chat with. Also got a nice cap from them amd they had a bbq. I wish that more manufacturers would do product launches like this. Good job Suby!!

How do I compare it to my A4? Well the cars and similar and different. Where the WRX gives more performance, you sacrafice some luxuries. I felt good driving the WRX because it caters more to my sporty side. I feel good driving my A4 because it's a good balance of performance and luxury. I simply love the quality of the interior of my A4 especially after driving economy cars for the past 10 years (Neon & Protégé). Plus, I'm installing Bilstein/H&R springs so that should narrow the performance gap. The WRX would be a great addition to the family but I'm not ready to part with my A4. But, either car would put a smile on my face.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:01 PM
Ash

Default Yup, saw one in Toronto too...was just driving by...

..and going by I notice the parking lot of a recreation center near my house has a track and WRXs flying around it!

I pulled in and tried to get into the event, but they politely said it was pre-booked only..

Maybe Audi will do this for the new A4?

Yea right..
Ash
Old 05-15-2001, 01:06 PM

Default Re: OT: Subaru WRX National Event: Ottawa (long)

I really love the look of the WRX. And performance sounds awesome. Went to a dealer, and I agree with your interior analysis - doesn't compare with A4...but you're talking about much less $.

Haven't heard of that launch coming through Toronto, though.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:19 PM
Ash

see my post below...already happened
Old 05-15-2001, 04:55 PM

Much less $$? $35k CDN is not *much* less compared to my 2001 1.8T!!!
Old 05-16-2001, 04:29 AM

Yup - was in Toronto the previous weekend. Now they're off to Calgary and Vancouver