A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Parking Lot Dents and Dings

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1998, 10:39 AM
Vin

Default Parking Lot Dents and Dings

Several days ago I posted a message in this forum, but it was apparently lost due to a technical problem with the server. So here it is again. I've developed and patented an accessory product that is designed to protect the sides of a parked and unattended car against common parking lot dents, dings and scratches. It covers the entire side of the car, easily installs on both sides of the car in about a minute and is stored in the trunk when not needed. When used, a conscientous car owner can select virtually any parking space without fear of returning to find one of those infuriating door or fender dings...in crowded parking lots and garages at the airport, shopping malls, at work, even in the garage at home. I've used the covers on my own car for over three years and it is completely free of side dents and dings. At the moment, only the prototype exisits, but I hope to someday bring it to the marketplace. I know that most A4 owners are true car enthusists and tend to take special care of their cars. Thus, I thought this forum might be a good place to obtain some feedback regarding the potential demand for such an accessory. My question: Do you think there could be a market for a practical and easy-to-use accessory of this nature that effectively guards against parking lot damage and helps to preserve the aesthetic and monetary value of a car? Thanks in advance for any responses! <br>
Old 10-21-1998, 10:46 AM
Jason

Default Re: Parking Lot Dents and Dings

I can kind of follow what you're saying, but do you have a picture of this "thing" in action..I'ld like to see what I'm putting on my car to better judge it first.<p>Thanks,<br>Jason<br>98.5 1.8T pearlescent (currently parking between a lexus and mercedes every day at my apartment complex...mutual respect for dents and dings)
Old 10-21-1998, 11:25 AM
Trey

What does this thing look like?
Old 10-21-1998, 11:45 AM
chrisd

Yeah..is it like a foam drape that hangs from the window sills... give us some more info
Old 10-21-1998, 12:48 PM
BK

Default Parking Lot Dents and Dings

I've thought about this concept before, but in my mind it always came out too bulky and easy to steal. Also what a target it would be for vandals who would get off on lifting the shield to key the car anyway. I'd be interested in seeing pictures too. <p>BK (Scared to death of domestic 2 doors)<br>Pearl 98.5 2.8qM (Parked as far away as possible from civilization)<br>
Old 10-21-1998, 01:05 PM
VIN

I do have photographs of it, but I don't yet have the capability to send it via e-mail. I'm working on it and will forward a photo(s) to anyone who wants it just as soon as I can. Meanwhile, I'll try to describe it. Believe it or not, it is so simple, describing it verbally is something of a challenge. First, I call it an "AutoVest" since it resembles a protective "vest" for a car when it is installed. It is made of two pieces of cotten-backed vinyl fabric (cut the length of the car and a width of about 18 inches) that are stiched together to form several pockets. One-eigth inch thick PVC plactic panels are sewn into the pockets for added dent prevention capability. The panels also give the cover rigidity and allows it to be folded up accordian-style for compact storage inside the trunk. A small piece of vinyl is sewn to front and rear ends of the cover to form attachment flaps. The rear flap remains attached inside the trunk. When you park your car in instances where the sides of the car are vulnerable, you simply pop the trunk, lift a cover out and unfold it toward the front of the car (keep in mind that the rear flap is attached inside the trunk so one person can install it and it's always in the correct position to deploy when needed). The midsection is supported by a suction cup that you attach to the front side window as you walk toward the front of the car. The front attachment flap has a strip of rubber attached to it that is simply inserted into the engine hood seam to hold the front section of the cover to the car. You repeat these installation steps on the other side of the car and close the trunk. Once the trunk lid is closed, the covers can't be stolen. I've sewn a dowel into the end of the rear attachment flap (the end that remains inside the trunk) so it can't be pulled out. When you return to the car, simply open the trunk and reverse the installation steps. When the AutoVest is installed, it conforms to the shape of the car and does not detract from its appearance. It also provides bumper to bumper protection for the entire side of the car, not just the door panels. Since it is a stiched vinyl product, it resembles a front mask cover except, of course, it is on the sides of the car and you remove it before driving. Hope this makes some sense.
Old 10-21-1998, 01:44 PM
JimV

I could see it being useful for more long term parking in a lot than everytime you go to the supermarket. <p>It seems like kind of eccentric item I would think people would feel silly using one regardless of the protection value.<p>But it could be used similar to a car cover when parking somewhere long term.<br>
Old 10-21-1998, 01:57 PM
Jim Murphy

Default Agree on your vandals point...

Product might be good for people who dwell in apartment/condo complexes who sometimes have no choice who they park next to. I wouldn't use anything like this in public areas (malls, city lots, etc.) because I believe they will only attract attention to your car by the "other" group of people we all hate - resentful people who enjoy damaging cars (keyers, etc.).<p>The type of person who enjoys damaging a car would probably bolt right over to a car if they saw a protector to ensure it is damaged. Just think of what goes through their tiny little brains - "Oh, he thinks his car is safe - I'll show him!"
Old 10-21-1998, 03:16 PM
EW

I'm a fanatic about avoiding dings and have developed somne rather good techniques, as many of us have.<p>I think anonymity is an important way to avoid dings. I would fear that some young roustabouts would easily perceive the purpose of the shield and decide that this is the one car in the lot that they MUST key.<p>Fans of the late Charles Bukowski
Old 10-21-1998, 05:10 PM
Gene E.

Depends on the price and what it looks like. Also,<br>it must be secured somehow to prevent someone from walking off <br>with it.<p>Gene<br>

Quick Reply: Parking Lot Dents and Dings