A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Please advise on possible purchase of A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise on possible purchase of A4

Hope someone can be of assistance,
I currently own a 1991 Range Rover Vogue SE and after looking for a good quality but cheaper to maintain car thought of the A4 and 5 series bmw.

Im swaying toward the A4 because of its reputation for reliability and they are nearer my price range.

I would really appreciate it if someone could do the following:
- Explain the A4, what makes it special (sell it to me!)
- What engine is best, keep in mind I need it to be as economical as possible but dont want a diesel or a car thats underpowered.
- What features does it have?

Thanking you in advance,
Mitch
Old 09-04-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Hmm...

I would really appreciate it if someone could do the following:
- Explain the A4, what makes it special (sell it to me!)

Well, Quattro is something I would find VERY hard to get rid of. The Audi all wheel drive system is just awsome. I handles GREAT and does REALLY well in the snow.

- What engine is best, keep in mind I need it to be as economical as possible but dont want a diesel or a car thats underpowered.

If you don't plan on doing any mods to the car you should go with the 2.8. As it is if faster then the 1.8T and the more pratical of the two if you don't plan on doing anymods. The 1.8T is a lot more fun to drive (chipped) but very under powered. However, you can put a new computer chip in it for $500.00 and it will make it faster the the 2.8. Just depends on what you want to do with the car.

- What features does it have?
The audi has some nice features. My two favorite are the sport package and the cold weather package. With the cold weather package you get heated seats along with some other things. And the sport suspension give you better sway bars and lower suspension.

Anyway hope that helps and little bit and if you use the searh button in the top right cornerI am sure you can find some usful info
Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi and reliability? hahahah you must be kidding

get a Toyota.

oh I see you drive a Land Rover, guess everything else are reliable when compared to a LR.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:11 AM

The reason to buy an A4 is because you like to drive it.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default They're as reliable as you make them...

German cars, in General, are demanding in terms of maintenance. Maintain them correctly, and you're fine. Slack off on maintenance, and they'll bit you in the ***...HARD.

Want something mundane to drive that you can beat the crap out of, slack off on maintenance, and then throw it out after 100k miles? Get a Toyota or Honda.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:13 AM

Default a4 has awd, bmw doesn't. both will be expensive out of warranty (more)

2.8 over 1.8T If you dont' plan to always put premium gas in it. stick over auto b/c it will feel underpowered stock and auto. bmw 5 series is not a direct competitor to the audi a4, the 3 series maybe. if you are looking for a nice roomy car that is rwd then get the bmw. if you want a nice not so roomy car (decent trunk size) with awd available then get the audi.

whats your price range and how much $ are you willing to spend per year on maintaince. honestly if you want a used car with a reputation for reliability you are best with a Honda.

btw I had a 91 or 92 range rover (cant' remember which year it was). drove it for 10 days and gave it back to a friend who was selling it, the thing was falling appart and everything cost over a thousand dollars to fix so the Audi or bmw will be a walk in the park compared to that.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Drive everything...

I drove several 525i's sport and regular, a few 528i's sport and regular, A-4's, A-6's, and a few others. I finally decided on the A-4 1.8T Quattro for mileage (it get's about 28.5 on the highway to San Antonio), performance (with a chip the horsepower is over 210 and the torque over 240), and safety (ten airbags and Quatrro all wheel drive--inspires incredible confidence in the rain, snow, or when it's bone dry outside). Bottom line is, drive them all so you know what you're getting into. I like the people at my Audi dealership and I don't like the people at the BMW dealership. That may also factor in to your decision. And Factory certification is also a big deal if you want to avoid costly repairs out of warrany. Change the oil, fix stuff immediately when it breaks--which it will in any car--and you will get a long life out of either car. Many editors of car magazines have said, and I agree, you get more for your money with an Audi than with a BMW or Mercedes, but make sure it gives you what you want size wise and performance wise.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 AM

Default thanks for all your help

Thanks for all your help, in response to some of the questions: my budget is around €10k which is im guessing around $14k. In terms of annual maintenance I dont mind paying for services i just dont want to have to replace every part (including the engine) constantly.
Land Rovers as with any cars are as reliable as you make them, maintain them well and youre fine, but few know how to do this. The problem was that the chap who had it before me didnt even change the oil within the last 5 years. Thats why its costing me so much and i cant take it anymore.
I need a nice, almost luxurious car that i enjoy to drive which wont take all my money away from me on fuel and maintenance and have me driving it back and forth from the mechanic instead of studying.

The A4 is nearer my budget, but if i can find a 525 for around that I may be tempted.
But as you have all suggested I will drive all of them many times and taking into account economy, reliablitity, how much i like them etc I will make a decision.

Thanks again
Old 09-04-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Please advise on possible purchase of A4

do not plan on an Audi being a low maintenance car. Audi's view is that major systems like control arms are wear parts to be replaced by the user at 40k to 45k mile intervals. Their timing belts need to be replaced at 50K miles or they'll eat your engine. Their air bags fail at unreasonable intervals. All of these systems cost big bucks to replace. Even on a properly maintained machine, you are looking at significant replacement expenditures.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Please advise on possible purchase of A4

When I say audi is low maintenance im comparing it with what I presently own, a Range Rover. OFcourse 40-50k mile intervals is fine but I seem to be replacing my parts yearly.