A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Possibly first semi negative review of ebay SS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly first semi negative review of ebay SS...

So I decided to install the B&M knockoff I have had sitting aroung for a few weeks. The B&M instructions were pretty helpful.
All the writeups I have read on this forum seemed to be for newer cars. For anyone about to do this on a pre 99.5 car I highly recommend removing the center console. If you don't it is doubtful you will save any time and most likely end up taking more time, getting very frustrated and dropping many small parts into very hard to reach places. Removing the console makes this MUCH easier to work with. I doubt easier then the newer style console, but still much easier then just removing the shift boot.

Took about an hour and half to install and a good 15 minutes of that was removing the console. Which has to be removed starting all the way back by the rear ashtray and moving forward. A url can be found <a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int3.shtml">here</a> on how to do this. I set the throw reduction to the middle notch (25% I believe) and not only do I love the shortness of the shifts but love how much tighter and more precise everything feels.

A few tips:
Have an extra set of hands (preferably small possibly female)
Have a grabber tool or magnet (was used many times)
You'll prob have to cut the nylon tube on the inside of your shift boot if your using the stock shift boot to make the **** fit back onto the shortened shift stick.

Now the bad....
If you have a car with pushdown reverse even if you do want push down back in the car it is impossible with this knock off kit. The Back reverse pin DOES NOT fit through the shifter. I tried hammering a little and even using a vice (which ended up bending the pin anyways) The pin is wayy to large to fit through the hole. I kind of thought the push down gave my car a little character and wanted to keep it but it wasn't an option. Without the push down reverse the shifter does still go into reverse although it seems to take alittle more effort then the rest of the gears (which is a good thing IMO)

While the shifter itself felt solid all the hardware felt very very cheap and was even missing the nylon rivet for the back reverse pin in my kit.(which couldn't be used anyway) The C clips used on the nylon bushings that replaced the stock rubber ones were utter garbage. I could probably snap them with my fingers. The jam nut that holds the adapter to the actual shifter stick was also very cheap. Granted the whole kit was $25 plus shipping I still haven't heard much mention of the hardware being very cheap on these forums. The part that scares me is the hardward is pretty essential to the kit and although it shifts nice now who knows how it will hold up over time. Now im left thinking.. will it be worth saving the few extra bucks in the future?

Im sure if you went out and spent a few bucks replacing the hardware needed to install this kit you could probably get close to B&amp;M in terms of quality. If I was to do it again would I still choose the knockoff shifter... probably not. Id prob go with the real deal. For now it is installed and does shift nicely but hopefully im not kicking myself in the future when I find myself in the middle of the highway with a broken shifter I bought from "power import".

I do love the feel of a short shifter tho they really should come factory like this as part of a "sport package"

For reference the kit I ordered was found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=8067245867&amp;ssp agename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default now tighten up your linkage to the tranny :)

I did this the past weekend fallowing the tech article...
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1581653.phtml">Linky poo</a>

I also had a eBay SS that i sold after installing it. It wasn't up to my standards and I had previously done the DIY SS found also in the tech section. But I had cut down the stock of the shifter and re threaded it. Which felt better than the one off of eBay...

Anywho, A LOT of the slop is found in this lower linkage and it is definately a worth while modification.

PS Anyone need a timing belt tensioner for a AWM engine. I have one laying around that i need to get rid of.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

looks like thats up there in the best mod for under $50 category...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a lot of slop as well, is this something i can do in an afternoon?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

read the tech article, as long as you have all of the tools. it only took me one afternoon.