A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A prospective owner lookin for a professional opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A prospective owner lookin for a professional opinion

Hey all, i'm looking at buying an audi for a first time. I've looked at a few over the last couple of days but now i'm really looking at puttin the money down and buying. I've found one that looks like a good deal, but I figure this was the place to get the stamp of approval.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1176127079.html

Whatta ya think fellas?

Thanks for the advice
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you do your own work, I think the 91 200 quattro 20valve turbo is the best car Audi has. I know I'm going to get a bunch of laughs but I can back up my opinion with a sound case.

I've driven every Audi that has been offered in the USA from 1983 to 2002(with the exception of the ur quattro). I think that's probably a nice car on craigslist but.. can I ask.. Do you really want a four cylinder? Have you driven one with a 6. Have you driven an A8? A8s can be found for the same ball park price if you go to 1997.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 AM

Ya actually I test drove two V6s today, before i found out that each of them had a salvage title. I haven't driven a 4 banger yet. i'm really just looking for a car to tide me over for three or four months before I can afford a 2005 (0/2) Jetta TDI. I'm a diesel guy at heart but i'm gonna give gas a shot. I prefer small cars so the A4 seems to be a good fit. Are the larger engines more reliable on these things?

Thanks for the input =)
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

The larger engines are not necessarily more reliable. The difference in Audi with a four banger and six or more is.. If you have an Audi four cylinder you're basically driving a VW with a different body cover and more electronic gizmos. When you get into the bigger motors you're getting into true autobahn bread cars. If you like the gas mileage, sure stay with the smaller type engines but, if you want to carve into space I suggest something like the 20valve turbo 200Q. These are just my own opinions/takes between Audi/VW and 4cyl/5t-6-8.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue44
If you do your own work, I think the 91 200 quattro 20valve turbo is the best car Audi has.
I think that the "best" car depends on what you are looking for. For us, the "best" Audi we have owned is the wife's 1999 A6.

Curious though, why the 200 over something like the 1995.5 S6. That would be at or near the top for me.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me I choose the 1991 200Q 20v because it has 1:serious pick up- even at stock 2:a great price 3:there's always room for tons of jello tuning 4:It's got lines - everything after this Audi has decided to move towards bubbling out their body lines - I like the look over any new car and wish the car companies would go back to this style group. For me the new car styles just seem to look a little too frumpy and sort of "apathetic". I have owned a 2000 A6 2.8 before. It is a great car. I drove it everywhere. But, for me the lines were not the best. The Lamborghini Reventon is an exception to the rule.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a nice car.

FYI the 4 cylinder cars don't have leather, it's leatherette or cloth.

Easy way to tell "leatherette has small holes in it.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $5k is close to top dollar for this car.

cosmetically, it looks good. before i paid this much, i'd pay a good Audi shop to check it out mechanically. if the seller has good maintenance records, that would be very helpful.

since they didn't know the seats weren't leather, it seems that, at best, the seller isn't an Audi person. it doesn't mean that it isn't a good car, but i would feel better buying from an original owner or, at least, someone who was enthusiastic about the brand.

be sure that it's had the timing belt done. you need to see proof of that.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would rather have a facelift a4 98.5 up I believe. Looks like he has aftermarket lights which is not so good. Also seems to be missing the OEM mats but not sure. $5000 seems pricey to me. Some things to make sure were done are clutch every 60k miles and timing belt every 60k miles. So it should be due for a timing belt and clutch soon if it has not been done already. Those are very costly repairs. I would say you could bring the price down if it has no maintance records and get those taken care off.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"clutch every 60k"? WTF? That's crazy talk and complete overkill.

Also, there is no "face lift" 98 model. The biggest change would be to the V6 engine going to 30v. The cluster is slightly different, radio is slightly updated, and the tail lights can be different. It's not near the true face lift of the 99.5 year.

BTW, the clutch in my Golf went over 320,000 miles before it needed to be replaced. If you're doing your clutch every 60k, you need to go back to school and learn how to drive properly.

Quick Reply: A prospective owner lookin for a professional opinion