A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

question about price of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-1999, 04:45 PM
globetro

Default question about price of ownership

Hello all,<p>I was just wondering just how "expensive" owning an A4 1.8T really is? I'll be graduating from college in the next month and thus will be looking for my first car. I'm mainly choosing between either a GSR or A4 1.8Tq... however, because i'm going to be in the boston area, i'd really like to get the A4 with quattro. But right now, I'm not sure how expensive a car I can afford... i know a lot of guides say that you should look to pay at most 20% of your monthly take home salary, but I'm assuming that as a guy fresh out of college with a job, I'd be able to spend a little more for a car (much less expenses than someone with a family to support). But even still, I'm not sure how to figure out how much I can afford while still being able to live comfortably. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-06-1999, 05:52 PM
DaveL

Can't offer much advice without knowing how you spend your money...you need to create a Budget for yourself.
Old 05-06-1999, 06:40 PM
pdw

Default If you don't mind, how much are they paying newbies these days?

Without knowing how much you make a year, it's hard to tell you how much to spend on a car. However, an A4 of any type isn't exactly cheap and cheap is what somebody on their first job should be looking at. If you want an Audi consider getting one used. Use the money you save to invest in stocks.<p>When it comes to investing, time is the most important thing and that's what you have now.
Old 05-06-1999, 07:55 PM
globetro

Default Re: If you don't mind, how much are they paying newbies these days?

Well, my starting is about $60k... but it seems like after figuring out tax, 401k and stock investments, it'd be kinda tight trying to afford an A4... I think after figuring out the total price of a new A4 and financing for 48 months, payments would come out mid-$500 a month. I think I might be able to afford the payments, but I don't want to wind up being tight for money every month just to afford the car...
Old 05-06-1999, 09:15 PM
BDW

Default Re: If you don't mind, how much are they paying newbies these days?

<br>FYI, according to CarPoint the average A4 buyer has a family income of about 90,000. Now, since you are single (assuming no huge debt), no financial obligations to anyone but yourself, it seems to be you could probably swing an A4.<p>But if you are worried about the payments, a good option might be like mentioned below, a used A4, or even a lesser used car for a couple years while you save and invest. Try to get about 10K put away and use it as a downpayment on a brand new 2002 or 2003 A4! You'll be amazed at how drastically your interest paid will be reduced (and monthly payment) when you put a nice chunk down a new car.<p>Best of luck to you ...<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 05-07-1999, 05:37 AM
Rodney

Default Priority 1, put a budget together...(long)

First and foremost, figure out a budget. Include everything: Mortgage / rent, insurance (home/renters, auto, life), bills (credit cards, student loans), food, clothing (depending on your new job and your current wardrobe you may need to plan on spending a fair chunk of change), utilities (including phone, cell, internet, cable, etc.), living expenses (razors, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.), spending money, emergency fund (plan on 5% of your take home til you've got at least 2 month's salary in the bank), buffer ($100-$200 per week). Add all that up and subtract it from your take home pay...whatever's leftover is what you can afford for a car payment, going with a new car will be more expensive than used, but the warranty means your expenses are fixed (at least if you've got the Audi Advantage which covers maintenance or a simmilar program). This all assumes you're already investing a good chunk of your income in addition to maxing your 401k, I'm also assuming you've got health and dental, if not add those in too. This is off the top of my head, be thorough and accurate.<p>If you have a car now use that for a couple of months. During that time keep detailed track of your money (down to the penny) and bank as much as possible for a downpayment. If you don't and you're not sure if you can afford an A4, but REALLY REALLY want one, buy a peice of crap (something ugly that runs), and do the same thing, if you determine you can't reasonably afford an A4 you'll have a good picture of what you can afford and won't be in a position where you have to buy.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 05-07-1999, 07:24 AM
huh?

Fresh out of college with no experience and starting salary is 60k? doing what???
Old 05-07-1999, 07:27 AM
globetro

Default Re: Priority 1, put a budget together...(long)

Hey Rodney,<p>Thanks for the advice... been trying to figure out my expenses but it's kinda hard to get a good estimate as to how much my expenses will be without getting a few "test run months" in... also was just wondering if 60 month financing is worth it? I know sometimes when one finances for too long, you wind up paying way over the actual value of the car...
Old 05-07-1999, 07:45 AM
curious

Hard to believe someone starting at $60K would be wrestling with such basic financial questions?
Old 05-07-1999, 07:57 AM
erikp

You can afford it.

Quick Reply: question about price of ownership