A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Qustions about lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1999, 05:56 PM
Peter

Default Qustions about lights

I've got a 98.5 A4, and like everyone else here, I am unhappy with the output of light from the headlights.
I can't afford a Xenon upgrade, and I am seriously considering a Euro upgrade soon.
But in the meantime, I changed the bulbs to 80w "crystal blue" H7s in both the hi & lo and H1s in the fogs.
As far as I can tell, these are no-name cheap Korean bulbs, which I purchased from LLTek.
Not exactly cheap, at $26 per bulb.

The light output seems to be significantly better (despite still using the same reflector pattern).

But I've read that the Korean bulbs are not very good, dim as they get older, and don't last very long.

Does anyone have any experience with these bulbs?
Did I just waste $150 ? Or will these be sufficient until I upgrade to Euros ?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-24-1999, 06:39 PM
James R.

Default Buy the Euro Projectors...(more)

You can get a set for about $700 from Greedspeed. If you later decide you'd like to, you can upgrade them to Xenon by buying the Bulbs...ballast and ignitor for about $700. It's not the most direct method...but it works.

You'll have to do some minor grinding around where the lights are to fit these on your 98.5 car though.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R28's 17", Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint...and some other stuff I probably forgot)
Old 11-24-1999, 07:10 PM
Vin

Default Maybe it's not the intensity of the light that you need to change . . .

. . . I've found for the most part that I just don't like the way the lights are "properly aimed". I typically will adjust them up a degree or two and if possible outwards another degree or so. The broader, farther reaching light pattern is not noticably less intense but the extra area that is covered is much more reassuring at night!

There is a trend, more notably with newer cars, for very defined light patterns. The light pattern is often sharply cut so the light is barely projected into the oncoming lanes. Not only does this limit view to the left but is is especially annoying when going around a left handed bend.

Try adjusting the headlights in very slight increments - driving the car on some roads between adjustments - until you get the desired effect. Don't over adjust or you'll not only blind oncoming traffic but you might be in violation of local ordinances.

Good Luck.
Old 11-26-1999, 02:20 PM
Peter

Default Which Euros should I buy ?

James,
Thanks for the info. I am actually planning to upgrade my headlights anyway. I just got these high wattage bulbs as a quick fix, until I get new headlights.

I've seen two Euro headlamps for the A4 thus far.
Greedspeed sells a Bosch Euro headlight assembly for $500 or so, not the $700 you mentioned.
Is that the one you were referring to ? Or is there another one which I didn't see on their website?
The Bosch uses dual H7 bulbs, just like the stock lamps. Can this be upgraded with Xenon bulbs ?

Also, LLTek sells an H4 Euro headlamp -- using a single H4 bulb, with a dual filament.
LLTek also says that they are releasing projector beam headlights soon.

Which ones do I get ?

Thanks,
Peter
98 1.8TQMS