A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

rattles, creaks, ... (am I noticing too much?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1998, 09:26 AM
T2

Default rattles, creaks, ... (am I noticing too much?)

I know that there have been hundreds of postings about various rattles and noises in the A4... Recently I've been getting a bit frustrated with seemingly random rattles & creaks coming from various areas. Most prevalent is in the driver's B pillar. Sometimes there's a creak from the windshield area, sometimes a rattle from the driver's side, sometimes from the back seat, and sometimes it sounds like the doors a moving a bit (all of this over moderate but not severe bumps...). The frustrating thing is that none of these are always there (and so it won't do me any good to take it to the dealer) - they come and go. Sometimes it absolutely quiet, other times not. <p>Am I being too sensitive to these - are there folks out there who have absolutely no rattles or creaks (after several months or a year)?<p>Thanks for listening.<br>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 11-18-1998, 09:50 AM
Brad Bilut

Default I've got the same problem.

I have creeks coming from my back windows, drivers a-pillar, passenger seat, and armrest.<p>Most recently I've fixed the anoying noising from my armrest.<p>I've never owned a car that was completely silent, they seem to get worse with age. I've learned to turn my radio louder to distract me.<p>Brad Bilut 98.5 A4 2.8QA
Old 11-18-1998, 10:32 AM
Sergio C.

Default Silicone or Vaseline on seals around doors helps!

I have the same problem that you describe. If I put some silicone around the door frame seals, the creaking noise stops, but only for a few days. Then it comes back.<p>My dealer adjusted the door frame so the top of the window will do more pressure against the frame. It didn't elliminate the wind noise but it did help on the squeaking on the B-pillar. There is still some present, but it requires bigger "bumps" or the car body more "twisting" than before. I have the sport suspension and that also doesn't help with the rattles!<p>The dealer said that if after this fix, the problem was still present, they could add an additional strip of rubber seal or something around the door frame.<p>I hope this helps.<p>Sergio.<p>98.5 1.8TMS / pearl
Old 11-18-1998, 02:27 PM
James

Default Re: rattles, creaks, ... (am I noticing too much?)

There are way too many rattles and other noises in my A4. I am really beginning to question Audi's quality control.<br>Every morning when it is somewhat cold, the car be creaking from the center console. It really anoys me. I think 323i might be a safer bet. I had complained to the <br>Audi of North America. They had promised me that someone would follow with me. Nothing yet. Clock is ticking. 323i or 328i? BTW, Audi should make a car with some feel to it.<br>R&T comparison on A4 and 328i, had described the Audi as a car with no "feel". <br>They were 100% right. Solution: Steal some BMW engineers. <br>
Old 11-18-1998, 02:32 PM
John G

I've only got one rattle, from that notorious driver's side B pillar. It's worse some days than others, and is particularly noticeable when I just start driving. It tends to go away a bit after the car has been moving awhile. It's also gotten worse with age (22k miles now.) It wasn't bad enough previously for me to ask the dealer to try to fix it, but I'll ask them to do something the next time I have the car in for service.<p>I had one other bad rattle from the rear windshield area, but the dealer was able to fix it. There's a TSB for putting some silicone lube deep into the rubber seal surrounding the windshield and that's done the trick for me. That one was driving me nuts!!<p>John G<br>96 2.8fwdM pearl
Old 11-18-1998, 07:58 PM
Steve R.

Default Do NOT use Vaseline! Read your condom box!

Vaseline is petroleum based and will eventually eat through rubber. If you don't believe me, read the warning on a box of condoms! <br>
Old 11-18-1998, 08:58 PM
ChuckH

Hoping to get &quot;some&quot; tonight, Steve? :-) Seriously though, I agree!
Old 11-19-1998, 06:17 AM
Patrick M

I have 14,754 miles and I have a creak (on again off again) in the driver b or c pillar that drives me crazy. I thought a fat guy I took to lunch that sat back there broke my car, but I guess not. The creak is worse on bumpy roads and cold mornings and I can't figure out where its coming from. I definitely feel for you.<p>98 2.8QM
Old 11-19-1998, 07:00 AM
Paul G

My sentiments too. I have the 1.8TQm, and there's an increasingly annoying sound coming from the center dash area. There is also a buzzing sound coming from the dashboard, (right side?)? which I think is caused by a combination of vibration and the cold weather. I'm becoming more irritated with these noises, but like T2's, they are intermittent or alternate turns making noise. I'm also going to have the driver's door realigned again at the dealer.
Old 11-19-1998, 08:50 AM
Peter Aamodt

Default Suggestion for B-pillar rattles

I'd be surprised if every A4 owner doesn't have a rattle in at least one of the B-pillars - I think it's a poor design. So far, I have been more successful that service depts. with the B-pillars. They've insulated the pillars under the upper molding so that the molding has no more give. That helps, but I have still noticed some clicking (driver's side) and loud squeaks (passenger's side, going over bigger bumps). I've taken part of a small paper napkin, folded it over several times to make a padded strip and placed it between the weather stripping and the pillar molding. I've only had to do this on one side - the one closer to the front seats. It has worked pretty well but better on the driver's side (insulating the upper molding) than the passenger's side (insulating the lower molding).<p>Fortunately, the pillars have been the worst for me so far (34K miles), and now they're mostly under control I do hear a little door movement and a little rattle in the center console. Good luck with your rattle attack.<p>Peter<br>97 1.8tqms tropic green<br>

Quick Reply: rattles, creaks, ... (am I noticing too much?)