A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Re : Picking up my A4 tomorrow but one small problem...please read on

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-1999, 06:15 PM
Rich B

Default Re: Re : Picking up my A4 tomorrow but one small problem...please read on

I have had several cars with trip computer. The computer function I depend on is "Distance to Empty". When I'm on the highway, I drive until either the fuel tank is nearly empty or my bladder to nearly full. The bladder is easy to guage, but the nearly empty fuel tank depends on the computer. The other functions are just toys.
Old 01-08-1999, 06:47 PM
DaveN

Go get your car, I have both, the trip is mostly fluff, and I love my tunes.
Old 01-08-1999, 07:51 PM
James Reedy

Default THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS

I'd just like to take a little time to thank all of you for your speedy responses. I guess this group is one of the many perks of owning a fine auto like the A4...you get to hang out and talk with some genuinely quality people. I especially like to thank KIRK for his suggestions...you have a devious mind my man...I may use your script verbatim, I wonder if the dealer will notice my cue cards <p>Just FYI I called another dealer and explained my situation...but I did not mention my dealer to avoid any bias...for all he knew I was talking about his dealership..as this man was in the parts dept. He used to be a sales associate what he told me was basically it would be impossible for Audi to screw up on my car..as it would have never made it out of final inspection. Therefore someone at my dealership must have neglected to enter my Trip Computer into the computer. He said raise hell and get my CD player for free...I think I'm going to do that.<p>Thanks again for all the good advice.<br>
Old 01-08-1999, 08:23 PM
AndyN

I had trip computer on my previous Audi, didn't bother on my new A4, don't miss it
Old 01-08-1999, 08:27 PM
stanj

Default Why I got the trip... (and not the CD)

I feel like I need to swim against the current a bit :-)<p>I have an aftermarket radio, so I don't get the radio info display. Thus I would also not take the CD changer because I'd throw it away, anyway. My trip shows "miles till empty" at all times, because unlike others, on my long trips, I found it very helpful. Other than that, it's just avg mpg on a gas tank. So you see, I could live without.<p>The reason why I got it was the check control system that comes along. Yes you do get battery and oil warnings without it, but no light bulb warnings and most importantly, hydraulics. You see, in our old A100, once I was driving down an alpine pass and I heard a "beep, beep, beep" with a brake symbol (we get symbols in Europe). If I didn't get that warning, I may have looked quite surprised in the next turn without brakes.<p>I find all the other suggestions good: the only advantage of a new order (other than the trip computer) would be that you get a 99.5 with the new interior, most importantly new cupholder. *I* am patient and ****, but most people on this group are not (patient :-))<p>The one thing you won't be able to do w/o trip is my heated mirror fix as described on the FAQ - w/o trip, my fix kills the temperature (and gear if tip) gagues. But then, you are getting a new car and probably aren't thinking about fixing it right away, eh? :-)<p>The CD is financially a fair trade.<br>Enjoy,<br>- Stan
Old 01-08-1999, 09:38 PM
Dale B

Default A so far ignored use of trip computer

The trip computer just may come in useful someday in helping determine if your car has a problem. How? If you pay attention to the instantaneous mpg readout, you will eventually learn what it should say at certain speeds, for example centering around 30 mpg at a constant 60 mph. If someday you feel your A4 isn't acting quite right in the power department, you may be able to get more evidence of a real problem if the mpg readout in the same conditions says, say 22 mpg. Of course, mpg varies with the wind, A/C on or off, and lots of other things, but you can eventually learn the effects of these things too. You can even run your own tests on things like the effect of opening the windows versus having A/C on. You'll be able to see first hand what slower warmups in cold weather do to gas mileage, and just how bad/good it is at various times. You can see the effect of a "jack-rabbit" start on your gas consumption (even if you don't change habits, it can be interesting).<p>For those that care about the long-term performance/condition of their car and tend to keep careful records of gasoline consumption, the trip computer can help show you what is going on with the instantaneous and avg. mpg readouts.<p>If you feel like it, you can even play games with the avg. mpg readout. Such as, can you get home from work without the readout falling below a certain figure. (And you don't have to drive slower to do it, just smarter).<p>And if you don't understand any of the above (or what others have posted, if anything, about used for the trip computer), or still don't see any utility, then it's not for you - save your money for something else. For sure, it's not a necessary part of the car.
Old 01-08-1999, 10:37 PM
MK

Default It's not worth waiting another 3 months for...

<br>nt
Old 01-09-1999, 04:17 PM
randall

Default those who say they don't use the trip computer . . .

every time they see the windshield washer fluid low symbol come on, they are using it!!!<p>I don't have the trip computer, and so i check my washer fluid every morning!! (winter in TO)<p>plus knowing status of lights (blown or not) i find a good safety feature.<p><br>So its not necessary, but a nice convience. Remember that u can get an after market CD that will fit the Concert for about $280, but u cannot add the trip computer after the fact!!<br>1996 a4 2.8 qm<br>
Old 01-09-1999, 04:30 PM
Tom

I don't have a trip computer, but I've figured out (nt) when to get fuel without it. I look at the fuel guage.
Old 07-30-1999, 05:05 AM
Mike D

Default Try using "National Enquirer" (more)...

It works better than the NY Times, except when those pesky two-headed alien children of Elvis shine their tractor beams on the winshield. :-)

Quick Reply: Re : Picking up my A4 tomorrow but one small problem...please read on