A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

REALITY CHECK! just put stock ecu back in, impressions......

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALITY CHECK! just put stock ecu back in, impressions......

good lord, i had forgotten how slow this car was without the chip. it was very interesting to see the mild differences that i had totally forgotten since i chipped about 8000 miles ago. first of all, the boost does come on a TINY bit quicker through the lower part of the rev band (idle-2500rpm). also, that weird boost fluctuation thing that the car had when stock was brought to my attention again. if you floor the car at low revs in second gear, you get a kick, a tiny little "lift-off", and then back to the kick.

also, this car is S-L-O-W!!! man, with only 150 hp this car is kinda boring. makes you appreciate the handling alot more.

and for anybody wondering about the smoothness or integration of the APR chip, i must say it is pretty much seamless. the ONLY thing that i can say is different from stock would be the EXTREMELY MILD stutter the car will sometimes have when lifting off or something.

once you chip your car, you will laugh at yourself for not doing it sooner.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:23 PM

Default Hehe, I'm SO glad I'm getting chipped tomorrow...

...I had a similar experience with my chip in that I got to borrow an ECU for a week. It was a great week, and I even got my exhaust installed the same week so I went from "S-L-O-W" to pretty speedy in less than a week.. After having to take the chip back out, I've been clamoring to get one for myself. Finally, today, as you can read somewhere below, my parents allowed me to do it (they paid for/own the car but I drive it). I can't wait.

-mikey
Old 07-18-2001, 11:25 PM

Default Also...

...your sig indicates that you haven't installed an exhaust yet. I must HIGHLY recommend it to you since you have a chip. Up high, the difference between chip with stock exhaust and chip with performance exhaust is almost equivalent to the difference between stock chip and performance chip.

-mikey
Old 07-18-2001, 11:27 PM

Default lol, i like how you had to explain the parents/car thing to me in your post....

dont worry man, you have nothing to prove to me. i am only 18 years old myself, although my situation is a little different than yours. although my parents did buy the car, i am the one paying for it. i work every week and im paying them off slowly but surely.

seriously though, the chip is totally awesome. you are gonna be giddy with the power for a while, but watch yourself when near the cops, it is too tempting to speed in the car after the chip is in.

have fun man, i sure as hell did!
Old 07-18-2001, 11:29 PM

Default actually, i do have an exhaust....

i put my borla on a couple of weeks ago. the only problem is i dont have ANY photoshop skills to put the mod into my sig. i gotta call on the great Paul_858 to do a little sig modification for me pretty soon.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:34 PM

Default Re: lol, i like how you had to explain the parents/car thing to me in your post....

Thanks for the kind words. I notice that every time I mention that I need my parents' permission on this board, someone has to jump down my throat about either, "Why do you need your parents' permission?" or "Screw your parents, move out," without knowing anything about the situation hehe. I am a bit concerned about speeding, but I'll manage it. I've decided I'll use my first gas tank with the chip to have some careful fun, and try to take it easy 95% of the time from then on.

-mikey
Old 07-18-2001, 11:36 PM

Default Awesome..

..I could help you with the sig but I wouldn't get it exactly right font-wise, etc, I'm sure. Best to get the person who first helped you. Isn't it just great with the exhaust as well? My solution is a bit more ghetto than the Borla -- I got a local muffler shop, the owner of whom my friend knows well, to do a custom install. It's a bit loud but never too much for my tastes and it really improves the performance, even without a chip. Talk to you later.

-mikey

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2001, 07:09 AM

Even with the chip it's still slow. Unless the chip comes with a chevy small block v8.