A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Repost for day crowd: How much is it to replace the locks on a 2001 A4? Dealer messed up big time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repost for day crowd: How much is it to replace the locks on a 2001 A4? Dealer messed up big time...

My brother in law bought a 2001 Audi A4 from a well respected local dealer that only deals in Audi's and VW lease returns last month. Well, they owed him an extra key for the car. Well, for some reason they didn't tell him to come pick it up (only 2.5 miles away) but they decide to send it to him via USPS in just a regular non-padded envelope. Well, it arrived today and my sister found no key, just an envelope that had been ripped open in two places and a note that said that it had been damaged, NO KEY! So whoever stole the key has the home address from the envelope. They're going to yell at the dealer tomorrow, but what can be done? Can they change the locks on the A4 and how much would it cost? What would you do? Thanks, sorry for the rant, but this dealer is stupid.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell them to change the locks for free!

Audi of Alexandria lost my keys during a service appointment and I made them replace all the locks at their expense. Someone out there having a key to my car is unacceptable! If you have to, go all the way up to the owner of the dealership.
Tomasz
Old 11-07-2003, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably not a big deal, but if you're seriously worried, the dealer should help you out...

First of all, your dealer IS a moron, that's definite.

Second of all, the situation is probably not very serious. If you got the original envelope, the 'thief' probably doesn't have your address.

The fact that the key is not in the envelope suggests that the key got smashed/torn out of the envelope in one of the post office's automated machines. The envelope probably got spit out, they noticed it was damaged, and put the note on it. They probably didn't even find the key in the machine until much later, and had no way to track where/which envelope the key went in, as the torn envelope was sent on down the postal process.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but like I said above, your dealer should be chastised, make a stink, and just maybe they'll replace the locks. You can't be TOO careful, but honestly, I think your chances of actually having an issue are pretty slim.