A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Repost of life without resonator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1998, 01:45 AM
Gilbert

Default Repost of life without resonator

Repost of followup to resonator query on previous page:<p>I just got my resonator removed from my '97 A4 1.8TQM with Wett-chip and RAMAir filter. I have not changed<br>anything else. All I did was have the resonator removed and a pipe welded in its place. <p>Well my first impressions are the exhaust had a nice low bass sound to it that makes the engine sound bigger<br>and the noise level has only increased slightly. The biggest change was the increased bass at the lower revs<br>(around 1000-3500)after that beyond 4000 I can't notice any difference. But all in all the exhaust sounds much<br>better. The low end (low revs) sound is beautiful. Whenever I acclerate from a standstill like when making turns, I<br>love having the windows down just to hear the exhaust. It doesn't sound like some race car but like a sport<br>sedan, just the way I like it.<br>On the performance side the car feels torquier, if there is such a word, and smoother. Yes I feel an increase in<br>power but it is nothing as drastic as the difference between the stock chip and the Wetterauer chip. All in all I<br>am pleased. If you have the windows all rolled up then you will notice the very slight increase in bass but nothing<br>much. And as you drive around you will not notice a difference unless you step on the gas and the revs are<br>between 1000 and 3500. Whenever you do gas it from that rev range you will get a nice throaty roar(not loud but<br>sounds soo cool) from the exhaust (windows down). <br>Now I do not know if this is legal or not in the U.S. but since I am now in Uganda (was in Boston before)and<br>using leaded fuel there was nothing to stop me (emission related) removing the resonator because I do not<br>know how it affects emmissions. So if you plan on removing it I would recommend first checking to see if there<br>are any legal issues involved.<p>Hope this all helps,<br>Gilbert
Old 12-01-1998, 09:03 AM
Christian J. Long

Default Thanks, I've been thinking about doing that.

nt