A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

S4 arguments

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-1999, 09:11 PM
Chason

Default S4 arguments

Hello, my father is about to purchase a new vehicle. One of his top choices is an S4, but he is leaning toward some crappy Bimmer. How can I convince him that an S4 would be a lot better? What would you guys use as arguments?
Old 07-25-1999, 09:20 PM
Mitch

Default No Quattro - BMW bad in rain..terrible in snow...

If you live anywhere there is lots of rain then you need AWD. If you have any snow then tell your dad he will need to buy a beater truck for the winter. <p>When I had an Integra I got stuck going up a hill and had to sit till the plows came. Guess what other car was stuck w/ me...yup..a bimmer. The Audi's w/ Quattro were flying by. I swore then I would never get a car that couldn't handle in the snow. While I did get an AWD SUV (Pathfinder), problem is it handles like crap in dry and wet. My A4 handles like a champ in all weather conditions. The Audi slogan should be "It's Quattro, Stupid:-)<p>Mitch 99.5 1.8tqms
Old 07-25-1999, 09:27 PM
Stoney

Default Several thoughts...

Is he tall or broad-shouldered? If he is going for a BMW 3 or 5, he will feel cramped at the left shoulder and the pillar will be too close to his head. Have him sit in both and compare. Look at headroom, also. The size of the interior. <p>Then, there is driving. BMWs give lots of road feedback and steering feedback, but he will need that feedback to drive the car, whereas the Audi seems to just go where you point it. I have the impression that BMWs are for guys that fancy themselves to be macho drivers (just like Windows users who are proud that they can handle all those conflicts and bugs, compared to the Macintosh which just works better with less user tinkering). Audi driving seems more effortless, to me. I've never driven and S4, so ask others for their input....<p>Then there is the image: BMWs are commonplace. Any idiot that gets enough money ripping off the public buys a BMW. But, folks who appreciate a more elegant sports car, who have a more discriminating taste in design, will appreciate the Audi more.
Old 07-25-1999, 09:47 PM
Corey S

Default Some other thoughts....

Although I think the BMW M cars are sweet, I am getting an S4. Even though the E46 M3 is supposedly going to have 340hp or whatever it is, it's not necessarily going to be blisteringly fast. At least not as fast as the numbers say. I hear it's going to be a couple hundred pounds heavier than the E36 M3. (Keep in mind I'm biasing these since we're convincing this guy's father to go with Audi)<p>Although the stock S4 numbers aren't that of the M3, just a chip will put 0-60mph numbers right at 5.0 seconds. That's pretty darn fast for 4-door sedan. Not to mention almost everything under the sun is standard on the S4, AND it has quattro!!!<p>Ok, time for bed. ;-)<p>Corey S<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm<br>'00 S4 (past D status)<br>99 Ninja ZX-9R
Old 07-25-1999, 11:53 PM
ChuckH

Default There is no such thing as a crappy Bimmer (well, not one that competes with the S4 anyway!). If...

...your Father is going to want an easy car to drive in all seasons and all conditions, then the S4 will be for him. If he wants a car that takes a bit more skill to master, but with great rewards, the BMW M3 is absolutely the most fantastic sport sedan in the world, right out of the factory. Keep in mind though, that the S4 is very tuneable, has the best AWD system in the world, and will certainly be more exclusive. He'll just have to weigh his needs, and drive them both. Only your Father can make the decision. Frankly, if I didn't need all-season capabilities, or I had a back-up car for ugly days, there is no question I'd choose the M3. Nothing against the S4, but the M3 is just so awesome.<p>Charles<br>
Old 07-26-1999, 12:13 AM
Mao Zedong

BMW drivers are Capitalist Hyenas (eom)
Old 07-26-1999, 04:08 AM
Will Allen

Default Wrong, but you go on thinking that....this list has gotten so pathetically biased in the past year....

<br>Why does this whole list think that a $22,000 Audi has to be better than a $30k BMW? Once upon a time, you could get an objective opinion here. Guess I'll just keep my objective thoughts to myself.<p>Will<br>99 ///M3 (sold)<br>97 A4 1.8T chipped, dropped, etc, etc (sold)<ul><li><a href="http://vu.union.edu/~allenw">My A4 and M3 page</a></li></ul>
Old 07-26-1999, 05:00 AM
Steve S.

Default Will...settle down...not everyone thinks like that

Quattro doesn't rule everywhere..and BMWs when driven well, with decent tires, will do well in all kinds of weather. The driver is more important than anything. I, like you, have owned both....and I like them both. ANYBODY, given the right conditions can spin out of control off the roadway, on snow, ice, rain laden, or just bare asphalt, Quattro or not.<p>BTW, what are you getting now...have you narrowed it down yet. Did you get a decent amount for the M3? I have been in your shoes...I sympathize.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. Don't assume the board is totally biased...it is NOT.
Old 07-26-1999, 05:30 AM
Scott W

Default I'm with you Chuck!

(nt)
Old 07-26-1999, 06:14 AM
ErikR

Actually, take a gander at Bimmer, etc. Monthy columns about how poor the rain or snow handling is.

Quick Reply: S4 arguments