A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is this a scam... selling car.... Need Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam... selling car.... Need Advice...

So I've been trying to sell my car for a month or so without too much luck. It's a 2000 1.8T QMS in great condition in NJ with 79k, and i've reduced the price to just $11000.
My question is, the bulk of the hits i've been getting are almost exactly the same, and it sounds a little shady. 3 seperate people offered to buy the car for 12,500 or 13000. They all have the same story though, their client wants the car and didn't end up buying the last one he looked at after having a check drawn for it, and that car was more expensive. So they want to have the check transferred over to me and have me cash it and send them the difference, which depending on teh person is 4-10k, they'll then send someone from the shipping company to pick up the car and then i'll fed ex them the title. It sounds like they want to ship the car to Holland or S.Africa.
The first person i thought it was kind of strange but, not too bad. The fact that 3 seperate people have the same story is making me wonder.
I was wondering if any of you have heard of this before. I think they all found the car on Autotrader.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like a scam to me! 'specially if it's 3 seperate people...

just keep looking for buyers... try the Bargain News and Car Buyers Market as well... they're more for North Jersey, NY, Westchester, CT area, but they do attract a good crowd....
Old 06-22-2004, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's a well-known scam

Stay far away.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very very very overdone scam at this point. People fall for it unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 AM

Default scam scadidily scam.....

even if it wasn't a scam, who needs to jump through hoops to sell a car? worst case scenario, trade your ride in for the car you want and get the tax break. yeah, you may lose a few scheckles on the trade-in, but you don't have to dance for every weirdo who knocks at your door or calls you.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scam. Have them send you the check and frame it on your wall.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

scam... fake check and you're outta the money you sent him
Old 06-22-2004, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very much a scam. There are variations of it ,that occur

on E-bay. They send you too much money in the way of a cashiers check (how foolish...right?) Then tell you to keep the extra money, or refund them the difference after you send the item (they trust you to be honest.....nice setup, huh?)

The cashiers check they use is always counterfiet. The idea that they sent you more money, often makes people do stupid things like send the item before the check clears. Sometimes the check clears intially (because the counterfeit looks so good) and then gets rejected later by the bank. By then, you have sent them the money or item and are stuck.

I am trying to figure out the angle on your callers, but I presume they will have the guy show up to get the car earlier than scheduled (before the check clears). You know, the boat is leaving for S Africa tomorrow and he must get it on the ship. He will then try to persuade you to give him the car early and then let you keep the extra money for helping him out.

Something to that effect. Whatever you do, don't give anyone the keys or the title until you personally take the check to the bank and have them verify its authenticity and you have the cash in hand.

Counterfeit cashier checks are becoming a very big problem and cannot be viewed as completely reliable anymore. They are no better than a personal check. This subject was highlighted on a couple of Network news programs and National Public Radio in the last month.

Next time they call, get their phone number. You may need it for the police later.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Let me guess, autotrader.com?

Those scammers search Autotrader and send out those stupid queries to everyone in hopes of finding a fool.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info, definitly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Is this a scam... selling car.... Need Advice...