A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Scraping sound from right front brakes (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 04:31 PM
Arch57

Default Scraping sound from right front brakes (more)

Every morning for the past 2 weeks as I back out of my garage and turn the wheel left to back into our turn-around, I hear a scraping when I apply the brakes.
At first I thought this was due to road-salt, sand due to melting and new snow here in CT but even when the roads are dry I hear it.
It then goes away as soon as I use the brakes one or two times. Anyone else experience this? It seems minor since it goes away but just wondering.

-->Arch57 99.5 2.8QMS
Old 02-21-2000, 04:34 PM
Gatsby

Mine does it every morning as well... esp. when cold ('00 1.8T)
Old 02-21-2000, 05:31 PM
Rick

Wondering if anyone has upgraded to the techtonic exhaust? Feedback please(noise,performance,etc...)
Old 02-21-2000, 05:32 PM
dB

Default Mine, too.....

I thought it was the stupid aftermarket wheels rubbing at first, especially since it did it while having the wheel turned. Eventually it went away. Not very reassuring, let me tell ya.

'00 2.8QMS
Old 02-21-2000, 05:40 PM
stanj

Default I think I know =)

At least my brakes used to do it... OEM, mainly. If it's what I think it is, then your pads are not brand new and this noise probably comes at times when coming to a stop gently, too. It's brake dust related, it always went away when I took the garden hose and "flushed" the brake pads.

The sound was less prominent with Mintex Redbox pads; even less so with Mintex C-Tech pads; and went completely away with Porsche Big Reds.

FWIW,
- Stan
Old 02-21-2000, 05:53 PM
KS

Mine do the same thing...
Old 02-21-2000, 06:17 PM
Rick

Default Any California A4 owners going to the import drags and car show at the Pomona fairgrounds?

Maybe we can get a group of QCUSA members to go the the show together. The show is Sat the 26th of Feb. Non-members also welcome. Just trying to get a feel to see if anyone is showing up.
Old 02-22-2000, 12:53 AM
mg

Default Mine makes a loud noise like blowing a "trumpet"

and also goes away after using the brakes once or twice. This only happens when reversing the car. When I complained about it at a recent service, I was told that it is brake dust related and that nothing can be done about it.
I will try the "flusing" suggested in a previous reply.
Old 02-22-2000, 05:59 AM
JJ

Default It's probably just rust on the discs coming off..

This was discussed on the audi newsgroup a few weeks ago. Mine does it too. Here's an informed response from the newsgroup:

It's probably rust on the disks. It's common to all disk braked cars and varies only by degree. At worst, you may get a 'rust synergy' where moisture on the disks runs to the center (from the
top) and bottom (from the lower half) of the rotor and forms a drop, which rusts. Since rust is harder than the iron disk, it tends to cut into the pad surface. After the surface is cut, it can't
scrape away the rust. Your actual braking surface begins to shrink from the inside and outside edges of the rotor toward the center and your braking eventually degrades. Since it's very
gradual, it's something you'll catch in plenty of time to remedy before it's dangerous.

Years ago, my wife's Toyota got a bad case of this 'sit rust'. After I changed out the disks and pads (her braking surface was down by about 1/2), I suggested she brake more aggressively the
first few stops in the morning to scrape the rust off better before she got to work as well as to heat the rotors a bit more before parking (outside) at home at night. It worked nicely. And she
became a better autocrosser. ;^)
--
C.R. Krieger
"Ignore 'em, m'dear, they're beneath your dignity." -W.C. Fields
Old 02-22-2000, 06:08 AM
JJ

Default Forgot to mention...

Another reason I think it's rust buildup on the discs is that the loudness of the sound seems to be directly proportional to the length of time since I last drove the car, i.e. if I let it sit for a couple days the noise is much more noticable than if I'd just driven it 8 hours before; the longer the time between drives, the more rust builds up on the discs.