A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Scratch on my 2 day old A4 Avant, Ahhhh! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 03:58 PM
Kevin H

Default Scratch on my 2 day old A4 Avant, Ahhhh! What to do?

A 1/2" long scrape has appeared on the headlight washed cover (luckly not the bumper itself) of my 2 day old A4 Avant. It appears to have gone all the way down into the plastic in places. It's quite noticeable and I'm just sick about it. Also there is a 1/4" scratch in the headlight directly above.

My guess is that this happended in a parking lot. However I noticed while inspecting my car after getting my snow tires put on, so it could have been the tire shop. However I don't know how that would have happended since I was watching pretty much the whole time.

Anyway, any ideas about the best way to fix this? Can I remove the cover and have it repainted or should I just use a touch up bottle.

Also what are the headlight lens made out of? If it's plastic I've heard of some plastic plexiglass polish that might make the light scratch less noticable?

- Trying to calm down
Old 02-18-2000, 08:02 PM
KS

Default Just had headlight washer cover replaced

After a collision with a Mazda on a snowy road a few weeks ago I had to have the headlight washer cover replaced as it was sheared clean off. My car is 8 months old so I'm not as sensitive about scratches anymore, but a big gaping hole in the bumper was ugly.

the part costs $10 but comes unpainted, so the dealer sent it to the body shop to have it painted in my color. The whole thing ended up around $20 and they offered to install it for free. The catch was the cylinder that it clips onto was damaged, so in the end it cost me over $300, but that's details. You should have no trouble.

Also, install a Scotchal kit and you will never worry again. My collision scratche both the bumper and the headlight, but neither was actually touched as the tape protected it perfectly.

All that said, any car is just a piece of tin made to serve you, not the other way around. If you remember that your life will be a better and a longer one.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2000, 07:46 AM
Kevin H

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, sounds like an easy fix. Like you said it's just a car (even if it's an A4) and I was fine with the inevitible scratchs and dings, but after only 2 days and a deep gouge through me a bit.