A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Seat jiggles up and down after removal/reinstallation. Feels loose vertically

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat jiggles up and down after removal/reinstallation. Feels loose vertically

Good day fellow enthusaists!

I recently pulled my seat out of the old 99 a4. I took the 2 plastic blocking tabs out, removed the square blocking peg, pulled up on the release handle and slid the seat out, replaced the lower cusion and reversed my steps.

But now, it seems like the seat is loose. There is vertical play on the front up and down and I need to tip the seat backwards to lock the adjuster.

It looks pretty tight and only one real way to slide it back into the track....am I missing something?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be pretty straight forward. Ive removed and installed my seats a few times and never had this happen. Look underneath and wiggle it around? See what looks loose.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I took both seats out again and noticed that there is a little rubber spacer sitting on the passenger side on top of the floor bracket.

Looking around the driver's side area...I found the culprit, reinstalled it and now it works like a charm. =)
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by CrazyPete
So I took both seats out again and noticed that there is a little rubber spacer sitting on the passenger side on top of the floor bracket.

Looking around the driver's side area...I found the culprit, reinstalled it and now it works like a charm. =)
Just curious if it was this:

Those guides tend to break on many b5 seats causing a rocking back and forth motion.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Just curious if it was this:

Those guides tend to break on many b5 seats causing a rocking back and forth motion.
Yeah, that was the culprit right there. The only reason I didnt notice it in the first place was it had turned yellow so it blended in to the carpet and looked inconspicuous. Once I knew what I was looking for, I found the piece pretty quickly.

Lol...now my door is...sagging or something. I pull the handle and you need to yank on the door to open it. I dont see any up/down play so maybe the striker plate slid out of position.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Perhaps, check for wear on your step plates. If the door is off it's alignment when you pop the handle and open the door very slowly you'll see it drop a couple mm. Not an easy fix for that unless you happen to have a loose bolt in your hinges or striker. My 96 had a door issue and, well, a jack was used to correct it. Dangerous stuff and you could easily damage your door. Check the hardware first.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com