A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Selling a car

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car

I am thinking about selling my 2000 Pelica Blue A4 2.8QM 60K miles, still unsure what for, but I was wondering what is the best way to move this car? Do I trade it in, sell it on e-bay or like site, put an add in the newspaper for private sale or what? What will be the best way and will return me the most money. Any thoughts comments will be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try local newspaper first, than try autotrader and ebay..
Old 07-13-2002, 05:10 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default An idea suggested by a friend.

Place an ad in the newspaper, at a price that will attract a lot of buyers. When people call to see the car, meet all of them in one place at one time. Let them look the car over, and hopefully if your car is in good condition, the presence of other buyers will provide a little added incentive for one or more of them to make an offer.

The trick is to attract multiple buyers. I had intended on doing this, however it seems I'm not getting many phone calls! :-( So, I cleaned up the car, waxed it, and parked it at the local shopping center with For Sale signs on it. Wouldn't you know it, I got a phone call not even 5 minutes after I parked it! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As for what method you should use to get the most money...NOT the dealer, that's for certain. I had a dealer offer me $16K for my car, and another independent company that accepts cars on consignment tell me that the car would be worth about $16K as well.

You may be in a tough spot though. Pelican is not a highly sought after color outside the enthusiast community. You may find it very difficult to sell the car on your own, so you may want to consider taking the car to the dealer, and let them bend you over. Remember, the longer you have to hold on to the car, the more money you lose. So if the dealer offers you $1000 less than you think you can get via a private party sale, take it and run. I've seen Pelican's sit on dealers lots for months. They aren't crazy about them either.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2002, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought mine last year from a guy who listed on www.AutoByTel.com
Old 07-14-2002, 03:34 AM

Default I have mine listed on www.autotrader.com

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autotrader.com">http://www.autotrader.com</a</li></ul>