A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

silver vs. blue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-1999, 11:22 PM
tk2x

Default silver vs. blue

Sorry if this seems like a lame question but..<br>I am debating between two popular colors for the<br>exterior of an A4.. silver metallic or santorin<br>blue.<p>Pro Blue-<br> . Looks cool at night (darker)<br> . Different from average car (does not look<br> bland like every other silver jap sedan)<br>Pro Silver-<br> . Hides dirt, scratches and chips<br> . Looks good with the onyx interior I will get.<br> . Nice shine in mid-day sun<p>Can anyone who debated these colors tell me which<br>they chose, and whether they are happy with it?<p>BTW I searched archives and did not come up with<br>this topic.<p>Thanks...
Old 06-22-1999, 02:11 AM
stanj

Default Re: silver vs. blue

If you live anywhere where the sun makes more than just a guest appearance, santorin with onyx will be super hot. That's why I got the ecru. I still got my butt grilled today after lunch.<p>Santorin will show every little scratch and speck of dust. It's probably the 2nd most common color, judging from the A4 club meeting around here. Still way less than silver of course.<p>I never even thought about the silver - it's bare metal to me. Other than the scratches and perpetual dust, love Santorin :-)<p>- Stan<br><ul><li><a href="http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Audi/index.html">Stan's Santorin / Ecru for those who care</a></li></ul>
Old 06-22-1999, 03:12 AM
Gordon Martin

Default You know what the colours have in store for you....

I can't really add much.<p>I do love how the Santorin Blue has this really dark, almost black look, when it is overcast - but has this great metalic bright blue look when the sun hits it just right.<p>You really do see the dirt when your up close - but the car is still stunning from 20+ feet away.<p>I was going for more of an executive look than a sporty look and think the blue accomplishes that nicely for me.<p>Tootles,<br>Gordon Martin<br>98.5 2.8QMS (Santorin Blue/Ecru)<br>
Old 06-22-1999, 03:57 AM
T2

You don't mention whether you're getting a 1.8T or a 2.8. I personally ruled out dark colors for my 1.8T because I think the outline of the side windows shows up better with light colors - I think that outline is one of the nicest design features of the A4. Since the 2.8 has chrome around the side windows, it is highlighted in any color.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 06-22-1999, 04:07 AM
parkerpt

Default I chose silver...

because it hides dirt, doesn't show scratches very well, is gorgeous in the bright sun. I didn't go Santorin or Brilliant black because it shows dirt (I live in the dusty Texas panhandle), it shows scratches, its hot. As far as one color being nicer looking than the other I can't vote on that because I think all 3 of these colors look great. Also, I get lots of compliments on the light silver color, ubiquitous as it is.<p>parkerpt<br>99.5 1.8T qms
Old 06-22-1999, 04:33 AM
MIke B.

Default I went with Silver (more)

Although the Santorin Blue was not one of my color options, I was debating between brilliant black and silver. The dealer had both cars coming to the lot with the same options and with onyx interior. It was a toss-up since I liked both colors equally. However, just as I was about to say black, I said silver....and I haven't second guessed myself once. <p>Yes, black (and santorin blue) are beautiful colors on the A4.....when new and clean. However, it takes alot of effort to keep them looking that way and staying that way for more than 1 hour. Although I'm pretty finicky about my new car (wash regularly once or twice a week, polish and wax once a month), I do have a life outside my A4 (I work, MTB race, etc.). I've been very happy with my color choice. Although, when I do see a new, clean brilliant black or santorin blue A4 drive by, I always find myself saying: "Nice.....very nice."<p>Ultimately, it is your decision. Go with your heart.<p>Regards,<br>Mike B.<br>silver 99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 06-22-1999, 05:35 AM
Me

I went with blue (1.8tqms all options- in port, should have it in 2-3 weeks!) because my current car is silver and I wanted a change. Plus, since I didn't order the car from the factory I had to limit my options to what the dealer could find within a reasonable amount of time. I tend to wash my car on a regualr basis anyways and live next to a good car wash! <p>I say just go for the one you like the most and enjoy.<p>
Old 06-22-1999, 05:49 AM
TGB

Default I agree with T2...

If you are getting a 2.8, the chrome may accent a darker colour better. If you are getting a 1.8, the black trim looks nice with light colours. Just MHO.<p>I had a black truck before my A4. It was always dusty. It drove me crazy, so I chose silver for my A4.<p>I agree, Santorin is a beautiful colour. My mother has an Acura Legend with a very similar shade of blue. It looks great right after a wash. I mean RIGHT after a wash. <p>For me, the dust factor made my decision.<p>TGB 1.8T qMS
Old 06-22-1999, 05:50 AM
Roger B

Default I went with the Silver...

Santorin Blue with the Ecru interior was my first choice but I had trouble locating this set up (which gave me a lot of time to think about it). The dark exterior was going to be difficult to take care of, and the light interior too.<p>Turns out that a Silver with the Ecru/Onyx interior became available. I decided that the easy to take care of exterior color with the slightly hard(er) to take care of interior color was a good compromise.<p>I've been very happy with my choice. There may be a lot of Silver cars out there, but at least my car always looks good.<p>- Rog<p>'99 Silver 2.8QMS
Old 06-22-1999, 05:53 AM
Brian

Default Re: silver vs. blue, If I had to do it all over...

again I would go with the silver or lighter color car. I own a Europa Blue A4 now, it's really hard to keep clean (should have known I owned a black GTI a while back and when clean dark colors are great but they get dirty really quick. If you don't mind spending the time cleaning go with the blue (not as many out there as silver). -Brian

Quick Reply: silver vs. blue