A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Skidding Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 05:11 PM
AT

Default Skidding Questions

Hi,<br>After reading that crash thread, I thought of a few things that happen to me and wanted to know your thoughts on it:<p>1) sometimes, as I gently brake to a stop, my steering wheel suddenly becomes loose to the left. I have no idea why. At first, I thought it was due to the road (maybe manhole) but if that's the case, then it should have happened to the right too, but that never happened. This has happened on the left lane and the center lane (maybe the road's slope?)... haven't noticed it on the right lane. It happened rarely enough that I would not remember to ask dealer about it. I just had 30K done, and everything seems to be fine. So what's happening?<p>b) Sometimes, when I brake hard, I can feel the wheel wanting to turn right/left. Does that mean my wheels are starting to lock up? Since it happened in an emergency, I didn't note whether ABS activated (it was a crazy situation... everything was fine though at the end). Is that a dangerous position to be in?<p>III) So in general, if the steering wheel becomes lose as I corner, does this mean a wheel is alocking up?<p>Thanks!
Old 07-14-1999, 06:00 PM
Audiboy

Default How's your tire pressure?

An overinflated tire will make it have less traction compared to a slightly underinflated tire. Of course, overunderinflation as close to flat will make the tire have little traction at all on hard surfaces, so just check first.<p>If tire pressure is ok, what about the tires? Do you mix and match tires or are you still running all stock tires with equal mileage on them? A soft compound tire on the left and a hard compound will make the car pull to the left.<p>If tires are ok, then move to the brakes. Any brake work done lately? Are the rotors warped or deeply grooved? Any pads left on the brakes? If brakes look ok, i.e., rotors fine, pads fine, then definetely time for a dealer as the front/rear left/right pressure regulator balancer mounted on the ABS unit or master cylinder could be going wacko.<p>By the way, is it an Audi?<br>