A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW and more SNOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1998, 07:44 AM
Rob Mack

Default SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW and more SNOW!!!

WHERE is it? I WANT to test my Quattro out! Why won't it SNOW here in the Northeast? I'm sick of 60 degree weather in NYC- it should be snowing mountains by now. This is unfair and I blame Giuliani for this (just kidding Mr. Mayor). So send some snow our way huh?<p>Rob A4 1.8T with an unused Quattro Tip
Old 12-02-1998, 08:01 AM
John

Default Re: SNOW?

I agree.<br>In the last week I have fully equipped my 98.5 QMS sedan for winter. New Dunlop M2 Winter sport tires on 15" rims, OEM mud flaps, OEM winter mats, and fresh Mobile 1 for cool climates.<p>Warm and dry in Massachusetts, and hating it.
Old 12-02-1998, 08:12 AM
Christian

Default Re: SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW and more SNOW!!!

Believe me, that's how I was when I first got my Jeep Wrangler 2 years ago, I waited for the snow and the winter of 97/98 sucked and now I'm just concentrating on getting the quattro..screw the SUV thing. I want better gas mileage than 11/16mpg city/hwy. I could do just as much rambling around in the snow ws I could / the Wrangler...but there are so many better things about owning an A4 (Hopefully)..I just can't jump sidewalks like I do now! Oh well...all my neighbors will be happy<p>Christian (future A4QTSTip owner in Queens NYC)
Old 12-02-1998, 08:37 AM
Kevin B

Default I'm GOING to the SNOW!

I have been living in So. CA for six months and I already miss the snow of New England so I'm driving up to Mammoth this weekend in my 1.8QMS. They have received 27"+ in the last four days!! I just hope I won't need snow cables! <br>
Old 12-02-1998, 08:37 AM
jfl

Default Are you crazy? Be careful, you might get what you wish for.

<br>Snow really sucks, especially in NYC., The salt and sand are hell on your car. The snow covers the giant pot holes so you drive right into them. You cant find parking because of the snow piles. But most importantly, its the OTHER cars without quattro that will run into you! Drive up to NH, VT, ME or something (for skiing?) to test your car out in some really fun snow driving.<p>Live in Queens, work in CT, In Boston every weekend. and DREADING SNOW!<br>'97 1.8
Old 12-02-1998, 08:53 AM
GregW

Default Agree...

New A4Q, new Snows, brand new heating system for the house...and spring comes 4 months early...<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 09:49 AM
MLK

Default Re: SNOW? Delights of mild winters in the NE!

<br>Just picked up my A4AVANT QTS yesterday, and I am enjoying the dry pavement in Mass, don't want to change my tires! In essence hoping for a dry winter. However, do love to ski, but downhill sucks here in the east.....oh, but Mammoth! Now that is delightful heavenly skiing! That is where I was raised and miss it......In March I will be there!
Old 12-02-1998, 09:56 AM
neilm

Default Re: SNOW 36" in the last 24 hours

Come to the Pacific Northwest if you want snow! Mt. Baker got 36" in the last twenty four hours and Crystal Mt. recieved 30". I've been to both mountains in the last week and I would be quattro'ng up there right now if I didn't have so much work.<p>NeilM<p>The picture is from last year in West Yellowstone
Old 12-02-1998, 12:23 PM
DMoore

Default Re: I'm GOING to the SNOW!

You should be OK if you have all weather or actual snow tires on the car. If not, there could be a problem. R-3 is a very rare situation in Mammoth - not sure if I've ever seen it in 27 years.<p>As of last night, CalTrans was still requiring chains at the 395/203 junction. It's got to be snowing really heavily for them to set up a checkpoint down there, but it's not at all unusual to have a checkpoint at the bottom of Minaret Rd. on the way to the main lodge. You might be able to make it to the warming hut. I don't think chair 15 is open yet.<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 03:02 PM
Jay Cole

Default Still need snows or cables in R2, not just R3

R2 is what you are currently referring to and chains or snows are required, even for our quattros.<p>like you said, R3 never happens in the Mammoth area.