A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

So should I go with a K04 or a GT25 turbo upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 07:46 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So should I go with a K04 or a GT25 turbo upgrade?

sorry just stirring the pot is seems dead here today =)

by the way my take on yesterdays conversation is:
1. Good, healthy explanation and debates on the two systems
2. Both MC and Brett@APR made good arguments for each system

i think it is important to realize that both turbos can be made into good systems . Brett outlined the combustion and aerodynamic characteristics of the engine well. With those ideas in mind one can make a great system. MC's attempt to point out the difference in the spooling/rpm "sweet range" I think got passed over, but is important to note.

Good job to both of you and Im sorry I was locked in a lab and couldnt contribute to the discussion. Those are the discussion that make this a great forum

-Will
Old 11-01-2000, 07:52 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

I should also mention I had fun staying up way too late talking to other AWers on this
Old 11-01-2000, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep

I missed out yesterday too. Nice to see a good technical discussion popping up again.

For those folks who haven't read it yet, search the archives for "Ch*ps and S@lsa" (replace the * with "i" and the @ with "a", I do this so this post won't come up in the search...you'll see why). It should be required reading.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:57 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

a greatest hits archive should be made =)
Old 11-01-2000, 08:03 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Yeah, yeah. I can barely stay awake.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:26 AM

re: "I was locked in a lab" Are you a human test subject?? I thought they quit that.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My impression of yesterday's debate is that a K04 would be a better street setup, a GT25...

a better track setup. This because the GT25, being bigger, would have more power on the boil, with associated lag, while the K04 would be quick on boost, and similar to our K03, just beefier.

Is this a correct understanding? APR did have a nice discussion that the entire system needs to be looked at, not just the turbo in a vacuum (no pun intended). Im sure a well engineered system will perform wonderfully.

What kinda confuses me is that MC seems to be into drag races, he has said so many times before. If that were the case, MC, wouldn't you want a big laggy turbo that is a banshee on the boil, cause you are not worrying about downshifting and keeping your revs up. Your quarter mile runs would have you below 3k only for the first few moments of launch (i would think). I think of a 944 Turbo when i say this, all top end power.

Dunno when ill be looking into Stage III, it will certainly be after warranty is over, so minumum 2 years for me. I also intend to buy a Miata, so that may come before the Stage III setup.

Not intended as a flame at all, just like to hear some more discussion.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2000, 08:39 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I got out of it is, the lag increase is minimal, because lag is NOT

just about a bigger turbo. The POWER lag is non-existant. Brett pointed out that lower than 2-2.5k, the engine feels like a chipped k03/k04. Any lag then is relative to the range. Monster power, vs the "chipped" feel at the low end. Brett also said that at a lower boost level, the GT is making more power than the ko4, which I take as less boost is needed to get the ball rolling.

All academic until next week.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed for the "system" but looking at the turbos alone

the GT 25 would be high lag and higher power, i suspect. See the thing is APR's atage III is an entire system, where they work to minimize the lag issues. But K04 setup, looking at AWE, is literally a stand alone product one could opt for, not with the other components.

Im sure the system will be incredible, can't wait for your report, but you BETTER not be AWOL for a couple weeks because you are too busy driving. Therefore, keep a laptop in your car, and at least jot notes for your eventual AW post during cooldowns for the car

Cheers
Old 11-01-2000, 08:57 AM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default IMHO, I see the biggest advantage of KO4 as smaller $$ bites...

First the KO4 kit at $1700, than later, the IC, etc. The APR kit requires big bucks up front. But you're contemplating a full KO4 kit right away at $3300, I would spend the extra $1700 and go APR. As far as drivability of the KO4 vs. GT25, does anyone REALLY know which is better???

Quick Reply: So should I go with a K04 or a GT25 turbo upgrade?