A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Sport Package vs. Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 05:37 PM
LanceK

Default Sport Package vs. Winter driving

I am about to buy a 2000 A4 and am debating whether or not to get the sport package. If I was not living in the snowy midwest it would be a no-brainer because I love the tight feel of the sport package. However, I have read extensively about the dunlop 8000's extremely poor performance in the snow, and my snowy test-drive last night confirmed this fact. So the options are to either get the sport package plus a set of snow tires ($$$$+hassle) or get the standard suspension/tires and add the stiffer suspension (the cost/ease of which I am unsure).

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the ride of the sport-package that much better over the long-run? (I should mention I've been driving a Toyota Corolla for 6 years, so either way will be an improvement!)
Old 01-21-2000, 05:46 PM
BDW

Default Don't cheat yourself ...

get sport. You get a lot for the money spent. Then get winter tires. If you don't mind using steel wheels and covers for the winter season, you can set yourself up for about 500 bucks. (I'm really happy with the Pirelli 210 Winter Assimetricos). If you can't stand to have steel wheels on, you can pick up a set of Audi 5-spoke replicas and winter tires for around 700 bucks. Changing is a bit of a hassle, but I like the peace of mind (especially when my wife is driving in bad weather) and winter rubber allows you to take full advantage of Quattro when you need to get up that slick incline.

Remeber, if you spend a grand or so in aftermarket parts improving the non-sport suspension, there's a chance you would no longer be happy with the performance of all season tires anyway! Catch-22.

Best of luck ...

BDW '99 1.8Tqms (Wett, K&N)
Old 01-21-2000, 05:58 PM
Drew S.

Default My $0.02 - you will want winter tires either way

No matter what you get, sports package tires or all-seasons, you will still want winter tires to replace them in the winter. All-season tires are a cheap alternative to separate summer/winter tires, but they are marginal in all conditions.

I'd say get the sports package and use those tires in the summer. Get a 2nd set of wheels and winter/snow tires for the winter.

It's just my opinion, but none of the OEM tires are good for year-round driving if you encounter hot summers and cold/snowy winters. If you only deal with warm weather like in FLA or SoCal, then the sports package would cover you.

Drew S.
Toyo Proxes T1 Plus 225-50/16 summer tires
Vredestein Wintrac 205-55/16 winter tires
Old 01-21-2000, 06:38 PM
Steve N.

Default If you drive sanely, snow tires aren't a requirement; however,......

...they definitely give you peace of mind when driving in the snow, and if you get into any situation that requires quick reactions, the snow tires will save your butt.

As far as the Sport Package, I'd say go for it. It will cost you a lot more to get the same results later on.

That's another $0.02....

Steve N.
'00 1.8T QMSX

BTW--I live in Minneapolis, and I put on Pirelli Assimetricos (sp?).
Old 01-21-2000, 07:15 PM
Dave Y

Default I got all-season Pirelli SS7000...

I would definately get the Sport package. I wrestled with getting snows, but since here in the Northeast we do not (usually) get more than four or five days of snow covered roads, I could not justify the time and expense for snow/summer combination. The last two days here in the western suburbs of Philly, I sent time in snow, slush and ice. The Quattro kept me moving and the Pirellis were able to stop me (yup, the ABS kicked in too for that idiot Ford Explorer that cut me off).

Either way you choose to go with the tires, I would *not* pass up on the Sport package.

My opinion,
dy
Old 01-21-2000, 09:44 PM
PakDaddy

Default Comments from another former Corolla driver..

Until recently i was driving an old '88 toyoyta corolla station wagon for a few years and now i have my '00 A4 Quattro with the standard suspension. I too wanted to get the sports package even though i never tested drove the setup I relied on the great raves of people on this forum. Well let me tell you if your going from a japanese economy car then the standard suspension will really surprise you. It's much tighter than any corolla but also very comfortable in all road conditions, not jarring at all. We recently had snow here in NJ and the all season tires did pretty well, but learning the proper way to drive Quattro is the key. From what i've heard the sports suspension starts to rattle after a few years and an aftermarket suspensions are too stiff. The best compromise is to get the standard suspension and then get a pair of Yokohama or Pirelli high performance all season tires with or without new wheels for year round no hassle performance and safety. Go to www.tirerack.com and you'll find the tires i'm talking about. Hope everything works out for u.
Old 01-22-2000, 12:39 AM
Rex

Default Re: Sport Package vs. Winter driving

Go for Sports package. It will give you years of driving pleasure in the summer. Change to winter tires for winter for seasons of Quattro adhesion.

Rex
1998 A4 1.8TQM sports
Old 01-22-2000, 05:35 AM
Mark M13

The sport pac. is the single best option that can be had on the car and it is one of the least exspensive. As noted in other posts if you live where it snows frequently you will want snow tires either way. So you may as well get the sport. Upgrading later will cost between $700-$1000 for suspension only. And if you put that much into suspension there is no way you are going to want to run all seasons. So add to that the cost of performance tires. Now your in the $1500 and up range. Spend the $480 on the sport pack and $400 on some winter tires mounted on steel wheels (I ordered a set of Blizzak MZ02's from tire rack last winter. Cost was just over $400 w/shipping. At $880 you are still way ahead of the game.
Living in New England this is the option I went for (actually the Blizzaks were for my wifes car, I put Dunlop winter sports mounted on 15" 5 spoke replicas on the Audi. Cost was $800).
Good luck
Mark
Old 01-22-2000, 06:08 AM
Andrew

within the last few days it snowed and I too did realize how poor the sp8000's were in the snow and that is why by thursday I will have new steel wheels with hubcaps and snow/ice tires on the car. I love the ride of the sport suspension and the sp8000's are a great tire during any season but winter. I didn't have any hassle with the snow tire situation and it only cost me an additional $550.00. Not much.
Old 01-22-2000, 06:31 AM
John Davies

Never base your buying decisions on what tires come on a car - they wear out and are simply not a si

Quick Reply: Sport Package vs. Winter driving