A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Steering Wheel Column rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 11:02 AM
Terry

Default Steering Wheel Column rattle

Has anyone else notice a rattle that eminates from your steering wheel column? I've never see anyone else put a post on this.

I know I have it.
Old 11-03-1999, 11:23 AM
mac

Default What kind of noise is it? Do you get it turning the wheel or going straight down the road? more

The steering column can make a few kinds of noise. The plastic shrouds can rattle together. The plastic shrouds can contact the steering wheel and make a rubbing plastic noise. The adjustment device (friction plates) in the steering column could be loose- but highly unlikely if the column is not moving freely up and down. Try moving the position of the column a little bit and then relock it and drive it for a while. The "clockspring" is also one of the usual suspects. It is the electrical connection for the airbag and other electrical devices in the steering wheel. Essentially it is a flat wire and plastic ribbon wound on itself. The slop in the winding allows the steering wheel to turn from lock to lock while maintaining a direct electrical connection (important for airbag circuitry). The slop, however, can allow the ribbon to slap against itself during rough roads. The other possible noise would be steering driveline slop. This noise would not exist when light torque is applied to the steering wheel.

I personally have not had any noises, and I am sensitive to it.

Good Luck

Mark 99.5 1.8tqms
Old 11-03-1999, 11:39 AM
Terry

Default The sound comes going straight over bumpy roads.

Mark,

Wow. . you really know your steering wheel column!!

I'll have the dealer look into it.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-1999, 11:49 AM
Terry

Default From your analysis Mark, I think. . .

My car is experiencing plastic shrouds rattle.

Is there anything that can be done?
Old 11-03-1999, 12:22 PM
mac

Default If you can pinpoint it, then put in some of those felt bumper pads between the subject parts.

More than likely the dealer will dis-assemble and re-assemble the shrouds and the noise will probably disappear.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 11-03-1999, 12:24 PM
DaveN

Default The top half of my shroud squeaked...

It is easy to pull off, just grip the top edge and tug. There are hooks holding the bottom edge, so don't pull it straight out or you could break the hooks. You might just try pulling it off to see if the sound goes away. I had a couple of shiny spots on mine where it was rubbing, I put some Chapstick on it (OK, that is what I had sitting there at the light) and it went away.
Old 11-03-1999, 12:43 PM
Terry

Default Thanks!!!

I really appreciate your help Mark.
Old 11-03-1999, 06:47 PM
BDW

Default Terry, I have it too and have posted ...

but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. I describle mine as more of a "clicking" sound that mainly happens when I turn the steering wheel in either direction. Sometimes very noticeable, others not. I'm sure it's coming from the steering column.

BDW
Old 11-03-1999, 07:08 PM
Terry

Default Mine is a bit different

The rattle I get comes when I go over bumppy roads. And it sounds like plastic vibrating.

Have you fixed your problem yet?
Old 12-01-2020, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like I'm experiencing some rattling from steering wheel. It sounds like a wire touching the casing from inside, making a vibration noise. when the wheel in upside down position (turning) there is no noise.
tried repositioning the steering wheel column up and down, and back and forth with no difference.
is this the same we're talking about here? Any remedies? Driving me crazy.